About the power of the game engine.

When I see a game from Blender’s GE, it’s usually of the original Playstation 1 graphics. Is this a result of user inexperience, or is it the limits of the game engine? If so, why? Are some GE’s like the Unreal 3 engine (Unreal Tournament 3, Bioshock [I think], Gears of War 1 and 2, etc.) just put less of a strain on computer resources than the BGE?

Hello
Blender is an “old”, generic, “easy” to use game engine, mostly for non-programmers.
Those you’ve listed, are highly optimized/specialized ones, made by good professional programmers!
Bye

OTO is correct (of course he is…)

However, I think you need to do a little more digging than to simply state that. A lot of it is to do with the users experience, and there are people working on optimizations to improve the BGE.

Once all the apricot stuff has an official BGE stable release… then you’ll see that you can accomplish games that are next-gen quality - it just takes a LOT of time.

Optimisations such as real time GPU rendering will see improvements to speed. Integration of the new Bullet Physics will see stuff like realtime softbody and cloth (I think)… so all in all the BGE really isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.

Check out some of the stuff endi has done in the “works in progress” (boom, city level). He’s planning on using an external engine for now… but it won’t be too long before that stuff will run in realtime at an acceptable frame rate. Probably about as much time as it’d take you to design a level of that quality (6-12 months! lol)

Anyways, I’ve got a team together working on a game. And for now we’ll be prototyping it in the BGE. Meanwhile I’m keeping an eye on any developments on improvements. If it turns out it won’t run fast enough we’ll just export out into crystal Space or Ogre if the plugin is finished.

I’m sure other users will have more of an idea than me - I’m not the moddler but the coder!

Whipster

I suggest you stick to the BGE for a while. Then when you’ve got a good grip on game design, modeling and ,programming, stick with it ('cause you’ll love it) or look around for commercial engines and buy one that suits your purpose.

Ok, thanks to all. I can’t wait for next gen graphics to come out (Hopefully)! I’m looking forward to what you guys can dish out!:wink:

and yes, bioshock uses unreal3 engine. My problem with that engine is that all games have the same look, although bioshock alters more than the others. Mirror’s edge looks promising too.

Anyway, look for Club Silo, it’s made with blender and is a high quality game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5o_jb_9n_A. I’d the problem with doing quality games in blender is time, cooperation and motivation. You can do a game on your own but it will take a lot of time, which most people don’t have or they become bored before they really accomplish anything.

I’m working on a game that is severely taxing the Blender GE, but as has been said, I’m looking forward to some frame rate improvements. I’m just the modeler in this case. The coder I’m working with has mentioned other GE’s but I think we are going to stick with Blender for now.

Awesome racing game, you guys know any other great Blender made games?

Yea, that Silo game is impressive! Thanks, Sim!

Hellstation is awesome XD

If you want to see what kind of graphics Blender is compatible of, you might want to take a look at endi’s BGE master piece. It’s not really a full game, but it’s still great.

When I see a game from Blender’s GE, it’s usually of the original Playstation 1 graphics. Is this a result of user inexperience, or is it the limits of the game engine?
It’s a bit of both. Normal commercial games have dozens (if not hundreds) of people working on them. For the most part, BGE projects are developed by only one or two people.

On the other hand, Blender doesn’t really have any limits. However, it could use some more optimization. Right now, blender can pull off Xbox 360 graphics, but only the best graphics cards would be able to run it. =/

Yeah, I think that PS3 / 360-quality graphics are really possible in Blender, but it’s hard… Also, the best games aren’t necessarily the best-looking. What about Katamari Damacy? $20, simplistic graphics, but great gameplay. 8/10 in my book, I think. Work on the gameplay and that may be the world’s next great game.

What about realtime reflection and soft shadows? :stuck_out_tongue:
Xbox 360 runs perfect with them.

What about realtime reflection and soft shadows? :stuck_out_tongue:
Xbox 360 runs perfect with them.

The Xbox 360 has a real-time radiosity engine, which uses up more than 66% of the total GPU (the game runs on the remaining 33%). Unfortunately, not all computer have that kind of power. =P