About the Super Mario Movie 2023

I liked it. I got the feeling of eating a cold ice cream on a hot summer day during the movie.

Also I was lucky to not hear it in American voice casting so I could enjoy the character without having the image of any famous actors in my head when they talk.

1 Like

You are lucky. The American voice casting has been a huge deterrent for me, I haven’t seen it

I don’t get why they would use some actors regular voice for an animated movie. It’s called voice acting for a reason.

1 Like

I have heard lots of good comments about the movie. I haven’t watched it yet, but this tip for the summer ice cream is a good one, I will keep it mind.

Though I am not exactly why the movie has so much success. I mean that the cast is top and the brand is strong, but other than that is it probably for very specific and precise reasons, that caused all 2022 movies (and series) to flop real hard.

Then with this mindset, getting a very simple movie plot with the classic and standard and fixed format, looks like instant success to me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The probably biggest reason is that Super Mario is simply extremely popular. According to surveys, Mario is more recognizable among American children than Mickey Mouse.

Another reason is that the Super Mario Bros. Movie is incredibly faithful to its source material, with no interference from American politics or other “societal issues” nonsense, and all characters look exactly like they do in the games. It’s just an innocent Super Mario film that doesn’t try to be anything else.

When people say that they left the cinema with a smile on their face, I understand what they mean. Yes, the movie may not be perfect (but let’s face it, no movie is if we are to be picky), but it brings out your inner child and puts you in a good mood!

With the great success of this movie and the deteriorating quality of Disney, some argue that Nintendo now has a golden opportunity to become the new “Disney”. They have started building Nintendo theme parks (currently available in Japan and Florida), and with other popular Nintendo titles such as Zelda and Metroid Prime, which could potentially be adapted into films in the future as well, it is hard to deny that Nintendo has potential to become bigger than Disney on film if they focus on this path and do it right all the way.

For those who have seen the post-credit scene in the Super Mario Bros. Movie, know that Nintendo and Illumination are planning / working on a second Mario movie, which suggests that this film is likely not a one-time thing, but it looks like Nintendo is serious about venturing into the film industry.

As a former Disney / Pixar fan, these are exciting times!

Not to mention, that characters like Mario, Sonic (and others of hundreds others), they never had their own big movies up until recently. So is kinda something really fresh and marks a change of pace.

While for example characters like Batman and Spiderman, did really well for many decades, but it was up to a point where producers played all of their cards. Impossible to squeeze new ideas out of these since more or less all aspects were explored and viewed…

I don’t say that these Marvel-Disney characters are bad, only that there should be a balance to maintained, between fresh-new ideas, and classic-standard ideas. In the end every viewer will be able to find some meaningful movie to watch, rather than ranting about bad movies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahem…

But yes, I get what you mean. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nintendo itself also played a bit of a hands-on role in the creation of the Mario movie (as opposed to letting Illumination have full control).

One of the results of that was Mario having a lot more screen time than he would have otherwise, which in turn led to more positive word of mouth. People are now arguing that Mario is now the greatest hero in movies as well (because this is allegedly the second time he saved an entire industry, the first being the video game industry).

Nintendo was co-producer and it appears that they held significant influence over the production of the Super Mario Bros. Movie. To my understanding, they had mostly control over creative decisions while Illumination implemented them into the format of an entertaining 1.5 hour family film.

Yes. Nintendo with Shigeru Miyamoto at the helm (Mario’s creator) knows what people want. Firstly, they understand the fundamental rule that politics should absolutely not be involved in a fantasy story, and they know how important it is for people to identify with the original worlds and characters.

For example, just look at how enormous the backlash against Sonic’s new design in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie (2020) was. Fortunately, Sega / Paramount quickly realized their mistake in changing the original material, and reverted back to Sonic’s original design, and the film became praised instead.

The memes were epic on this. :slight_smile: The corrections were something positive, but in overall terms, Sonic deserved a better movie in many other ways.

Combining 3D cartoon + live action has proven it’s capabilities, where it can go and how much it can offer. In many ways you can consider that they are conflicting paradigms (eg: you try to combine pixel art with classic oil-paint art – is feasible and is creative but the end result is not harmonious – creativity is not perfection).

In many possible ways Sonic needed the equivalent recipee of Mario.