about water

Hi all,

Sorry for my english, I’m not sure how to explain my question; I’m working on a boat (see below), and I’d like the water to move when an object is in it. like when you throw something in, it makes small waves - do you see what I mean?
here is how my model looks so far:

http://cmp-france.homelinux.org/drakkar_02.jpg

I’m not going to make an animation for the moment, I just want to see the effect.
Also - I’m going to search in the forums right now for that but I prefer to ask here too - is there a way to prevent the water to go through the boat? So far I’ve moved it so no one can see water inside it…

Seb.

For the waves, many ideas come to my mind, according what you want to achieve and to whick level of realism:

1. use an animated map to simulate the foam along the path of your boat
    and/or:
  2. use an animated map to displace your surface along the path of your boat
    and/or:
  3. use RVK
    and/or:
  4. use the wave effect from the Animated Effects panel (the same one as the particles). A short tute I wrote a long ago about this: http://www.linuxgraphic.org/section3d/blender/pages/didacticiels/animation_effects/didac2-ang.html … Put Emitters all along the path of your boat; each emitter will emit one only wave, and each emitter is activated once the ship gets over it in the animation.

About the problem of water showing inside the boat: as the boat cannot ‘deform’ the ocean mesh, then the answer is no for the moment. Perhaps it’s possible with the SoftBodies, though (make a search about Blender Instrinctive by intrr, for this experimental feature). If you don’t plan an animation, then remove the vertice showing through the boat. Or use RVK and move them manually. Convenient for an animation, also…

Hope this helps

Thanks for the fast answer :stuck_out_tongue:
I was thinking about particule emitters too, so I think I’ll give a try to your tutorial first.

On an other subject, are you the author of the image you use in your header? I’ve seen it in an (old) Blender manual (I have the manual for Blender 2.0). That’s a great work, I hope some day I’ll be able to do such things :slight_smile:

Seb.

I think it’s not the easiest way. Should really consider using color and displacement maps for this kind of task, and particles emitters only for the foam roaming around the boat.

Yes :expressionless:
This pic was all about lighting and posing, you know. The model came straight from Poser: there was no MakeHuman, these times, and my modeling skills were far worse than now. I have no particular fame doing this pic apart the fact it’s in the 2.0 Manual, really. Thanks for noticing, though :expressionless:

I think it’s not the easiest way. Should really consider using color and displacement maps for this kind of task, and particles emitters only for the foam roaming around the boat.[/quote]

I haven’t praticed yet the other techniques you’re talking about, but if you think they’re better… There’s always something to learn, I have time for that, so let’s go!

The first thing I did a “long” time ago when I received this book was to look at all the images to get an idea of what I could be able to do one day. There are lots of impressive pics in this book, yours is one of these, that’s why I remember it. But Blender is moving so fast that my manual is really outdated now, I think I should buy the new one, I’m sure I’ll find even more impressive pics :slight_smile:

Seb.

Or you could download it… for free… from blender.org.

But it’s pretty outdated too, being that it’s two versions in the past.

Great idea. I don’t have much money right now… :frowning:
But I’ll buy the manual anyway, the day I’ll have enough money. I suppose this will help the Blender developpers a bit :slight_smile:

Seb.

You should look at my ocean wave tutorial. To get an object to then ‘float’ on the water, you’ll need to do something called Vertex-parenting. You basically select your boat, then you select the water and enter edit mode.

Option 1)
Select a single vertex by your boat and press Ctrl-P to make it be the vertex-parent. The boat will not follow the location (but not rotation or sizing) of that vertex as it rises and falls from the wave motion.

Option2) More believable
Select a total of 3 vertices (maybe two at near the back of the boat and one towards the front) and press Ctrl-P to make it be the vertex-parent. The boat will follow the location, rotation AND sizing of those vertices as they rise and fall from the wave motion. This allows the boat to sway from side to side as it rides the waves.

Thanks, I’ll try it!

:expressionless: … In fact that’s how I made the water itself! I just missed the vertex-parenting thing :slight_smile:
Great tutorial and easy to follow - but this has been said already!

Seb.

You can also check out this link http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~raytrace/tutorials.html
it may be helpfull :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link planetshein.

It’s not finished yet - I haven’t even worked on the subjects we’ve been talking about in this thread - but what do you think of my work so far? (I’ve updated the pic in the original message).

Seb.

cool colors, even if slightly too saturated to my taste.
This kind of comments belongs to the WIP forum BTW :wink:

In fact I agree with you, my “sun” is too red.
What does WIP and BTW mean please? :-?

Seb.

In fact I agree with you, my “sun” is too red.
What does WIP and BTW mean please? :-?

Seb.[/quote]

WIP = WORK IN PROGRESS (travail en cours) There’s a forum here dedicated for scenes still being constructed

BTW = BY THE WAY (au fait)

Thanks for the advice. I’ll start a new thread in this forum later.

Seb.