Acceptible geometry & Illustrator

I have tried to do a couple of models and it seems that my geometry is too low since things look a little jaggy.

What is considered “acceptible” geometry. I was things to look smooth but I don’t want to have render times of several hours for a simple object.

Also, I have tried to import some Illustrator curves to use as lathe profiles but when I convert them to meshes it ends up having over 450 CPs though it’s a simple curve. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting to simplify those curves/meshes?

Greatest help to jaggedness is [W key] Set Smooth, followed by sub-surf [Ctrl 1 / 2 or 3]. Since 241 you also have the oppertunity to model with Optimal = wire as edit but with sub-surf. If you like it Apply and nice 'n rounded mesh…

Illustrator [ai.] produce sometimes great, other times unpredictable results, but mostly involving a huge amount of triangles which cause render artifacts. Until I know better = build in Blender from the ground up…

I don’t have Illustrator but I often draw curves in Corel Draw, then export them as svg files. I then open them in Inkscape, ungroup them if necessary then combine them into a single path. Inkscape has a nice simplify command which cleans up the curves then I resave the svg from inkscape. JMS’s latest svg to obj script then does a very good job of importing them to blender. The curves are really big, though, so you might miss them and think they didn’t come in. I just usually scale them smaller until they are the right size, click the center button to recenter the curve and hit Ctrl A to apply the size and rotation. No excessive control points, as far as I can tell. And for converting to mesh, it is usually a good idea to lower the resolution of the curve first. I get ok results even for resolutions as low as 2. Don’t forget to click the set button beside it, though, to apply the resolution value to the curve…