accurate transformation based on existing geometry

Hi,

I’ve scourged the forums and intranets trying to find what I want to do, but I just can’t seem to get it. Here’s what I have and what I want to do, thanks in advance for your help.

I have two models, one high resolution (the good object and mesh) built proper around the 0,0 origin, and one very low decimated version (the bad mesh). The bad mesh is located where its supposed to be but in the mesh, not the object (faces moved, not object moved). I want to accurately and quickly move the good object to overlap the bad mesh exactly. What I’m trying to do is take the corner vertex of a box face in the good mesh and translate its object to the same corner vertex of the bad mesh. Does that make sense?

I thus far have done it by notepad and maths, but I would like to find an easier and quicker way. I assume there must be something. Right now, I select the object and press G to transform and then hold CTRL down to snape its movement onto verticies. The problem is that I can’t seem to define the reference vertex location of the object I’m trying to move.

qr

Well, I can’t say I understood that very well, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Are both meshes centered? Have you tried the Center New button in the Edit panel?
  2. You know in edit mode you can get the vertex location by pressing ‘N’ and choosing ‘Global’.
  3. Have you tried the shrinkwrap modifier?

Sorry if these are irrelevant.

Let me see if I can rephrase it more abstractly with an example. Imagine a car mesh with wheels. I want to take a high detail wheel object (mesh centered appropriately) and move it to the exact same position of the existing wheel.

That is essentially what I want to do, except my geometry is more complicated than a wheel (think engine & pistons). What I really want to be able to do is pick a vertex on the object and transform the entire object to the corresponding vertex on the existing mesh. Currently, I go into one mesh and pick a vertex and write down the global position, then I pick the same vertex in the other model note the position. I then Take the difference and transform the object by typing in those values. This is tedious and necessary and I’m assuming there must be a better way.

Okay, I think I get it.
Select the vertex in your high detail mesh. Press ‘Shift S’ and choose ‘Cursor -> Selection’. Exit edit mode. In your ‘Editing’ panel click ‘Center Cursor’. Now go into edit mode on your low detail mesh, select the corresponding vertex, and again press ‘Shift S’ and choose ‘Cursor -> Selection’. Exit edit mode, select your high detail mesh, press ‘Shift S’ and choose ‘Selection to Cursor’. In your ‘Editing’ panel click ‘Center Ne’.

Perfect! Thank you!

It’s a little clunky with the quick keys and mouse presses (compared to the software I’m used to) but it works perfectly.

ryan

Yeah, not perfect but I’m glad it works.