Accurately joining objects

When joining objects I have been doing it by eye. I have tried using the snap tool but I cannot get it to work properly. I have no problems when in edit mode snapping to vertices as the small circle appears so you know that it will snap correctly.
I have tried jointing 2 standard cubes together and they never line up correctly I have tried moving centres but that does not seem to help.
When jointing 2 standard cubes what are the steps I should be taking as I must be missing something.

Thanks

Ken

I would say as a best practice keep to the grid and keep your origin somewhere sensible that promotes snapping. If you dont begin an object with future snapping in mind then you will probaly produce undesirable results.

Hi :slight_smile:
The snap tool should be working properly inside and outside of edit mode, sometimes I find moving the view around a bit helps it snap easier, or maybe try being in edit mode. I’ve just put a video on my channel going over the snap tool if that’s at all useful.

Otherwise, if you want to join two separate objects then select them both and press Ctrl+J and then in edit mode both objects will be available to modify there(and more reliably snap together). If you don’t want to use the snap tool inside of edit mode you can always select the two vertices you want to join and press Alt+M and then choose the option from the menu there.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

If you are working to a background plan I don’t see how it is possible to have snapping in mind. Isn’t snapping supposed to work in object mode?

Ken

Brilliant tutorial thanks ever so much.

Ken