Ace of Spades with Blender Ray Portal Shader

I really love custom playing cards, so as soon as I saw the blender 4.2 ray portal node, I had to make this.

I started with this sketch. I’m not a 2D artist so my sketches are usually very rough.

What took the longest was the composition. When I started, I made the “box” too big, and it started to look bad. Then I made the box too small and it just looked boring. Since I’ve never done something like this before I had no idea how to approach this. But in the end, the scene looked like this.

And here are some renders.

50 Likes

For some time i lately thought this “simple” scenes ( not like “easy” more like not sooo complex ) were somekind of boring to me…

You changed my mind in mutliple ways, thanks.

4 Likes

This is such a sweet comment and it has honestly made my day (and possibly my week).

I don’t know what else to say but thank you! :yellow_heart::yellow_heart:[quote=“Okidoki, post:2, topic:1542200, full:true”]
For some time i lately thought this “simple” scenes ( not like “easy” more like not sooo complex ) were somekind of boring to me…

You changed my mind in mutliple ways, thanks.
[/quote]

1 Like

No… thank you… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Ray portal holography!? :open_mouth: I would never have thought of this. Really cool use of the new node!

1 Like

Oh yes i didn’t mentioned this explicitly:

Pushing 3D artwork while using “more than” 3D… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: or so to speak: Taking the illusion of an 3D image on a 2D image “to the next level”… playing with the expectation of the user or the users experience… i can’t even stop to praise this :wink:

1 Like

Yep. Your comments have made my month

thank you!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

Thank you!

1 Like

Just saw this… thank you!

Cool, now we can do this effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oKGmKw02Z0&t=201s

Woah! That’s pretty complex!!