action stop

Hi all.
here is a blend file I’m working with and i have a question. My character walks fine when i press up on the keyboard but occasionally his walking action freezes. most often when you quickly tap forward again. Any clues?

http://www.glennmelenhorst.com/games/blender/animstop.blend

This is also a chance to check out my little guy. :slight_smile:

Glenn

I’m guessing that you need a separate action for the backwards walk as well. It looks like you need to add another action with the dukwalk action reversed and add another action actuator to the down arrow.

I like the little guy, he’s kinda like a groovy guru. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to figure out the difficulties with walking forward before I get into the back, left, right, jump etc…

Groovy guru suits him :slight_smile:

Glenn

Try using “Loop Stop” instead of “Loop End”. That way he’ll move only when you press the Up Arrow.

Got it. I was only half reading, I was all excited 'cos I just got my WiiMote working as a mouse. Woot. Anyway, changing the dukwalk action to property seems to improve it. The only thing was a little popping in the staff, probably from jumping back to the start of the action. Another interesting thing I noticed is, if you press the down key while holding the up key, it plays the dukwalk action while he moves backwards.

Groovy guru suits him :slight_smile:

Glenn

I wish I could claim it, but it comes from an ep. of Get Smart, the one with the band, the Holy Chao. It’s the same ep. the Painters and Dockers got the song Kill, Kill, Kill from. :yes:

Matty

Cool, but that way, of course, my character freezes mid action when you release the key. Is there no way to have animation loop nicely whist using 'Loop end"?

Glenn

“changing the dukwalk action to property seems to improve it.”

I’ll check it out.

“The only thing was a little popping in the staff, probably from jumping back to the start of the action.”

yeah, i’m geting my head aorund the action ediotr. It seems to stack keys on top of eachother when you duplicate a key onto a frame currently occupied by a key.

“Another interesting thing I noticed is, if you press the down key while holding the up key, it plays the dukwalk action while he moves backwards.”

I’ll look.

"I wish I could claim it, but it comes from an ep. of Get Smart, the one with the band, the Holy Chao. It’s the same ep. the Painters and Dockers got the song Kill, Kill, Kill from. :yes: "
Ahh. Get Smart and the Dockers. A Melbourne man after my own heart. Good to see a Victorian on the forum.

“changing the dukwalk action to property seems to improve it”
I’m actually not sure what that means. Can you give me a clue?

Thanks

Glenn

Sorry, changing it from action stop, to property in the actuator for the up arrow. In the logic bricks.

cheers,

Matty

I must be more of a noob than I realized. Setting the action to property? That stops the action and gives me an empty property actuator. How does that work?

Sorry for being slow here. :slight_smile:

Glenn

Oops, sorry I about that, I don’t think I explained myself that well, I’m ultra noob at the GE myself. :eek: The pic shows what you need to change, in the game logic, when you select your charcter’s armature. Hope that helps. Rock on.

Matty

Attachments