Active Tools

I’m also interested in seeing the kind of data you are talking about.

While it is true that animation creates the big PR moments for Blender, I would still argue that if this forum was enough to provide an adequate sample size, then the number of stills created with Blender far outstrip the number of animations.

If that is the case, I really don’t understand why you would say that. There a lot more aspects to 3D than animation. In blender’s case since it is the most advanced free subdivision based modeling tool, a lot users who need free tools for mesh data in general will use it.

I agree that it probably is mainly used by people looking to animate in 3D, but I only think that is the case because this is the main way blender is promoted by the foundation. There is no solid data to back that up. Since it is a lot easier to access blender than expensive alternatives, a lot of people will want to use it for stuff like 3D printing.

You really can’t notice that? That’s most of my students attraction to 3d, animation, then they discover other areas and go from there…

@Dave_W Just block me… :wink:

Done! Tired of seeing whiny amateurs give rude feedback.

This is my experience with people trying to learn 3d.

Oh you have students? To be fair, if you teach 3D animation, then of course all your students will want to learn blender for 3D animation. If you taught motion tracking in blender, then of course most of your students would be interested in those aspects of blender.

Again, I’m talking about 3d in general… And I teach stuff on several apps not just blender.

@Regnas Looking at things from your point of view, i agree with several point you try to make.
But… there are allot of different people with different fields of interest, i for one dont care much for animation but more for modeling in blender. Other people focus on other parts.

You have a strong opinion based on your personal preferences/experiences and the people you work with/teach and thats okay, but please try to be more understanding to people that are outside your field of focus/interest.

We all do our best to make the blender community a positive and supporting one, i welcome you to be a part of that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I get what Regnas is saying… Modeling and other 3d fields are more on the advanced side of 3d, most novices don’t even know that modeling is a thing lol… what they see and know about 3d on tv or whatever is mostly animation, yeah… kinda makes sense… everyday I see some newcomers trying to rig and animate minecraft/roblox characters in c4d, most of them don’t know nothing about modeling and other things nor they are interested in it lol… but they really love rigging and animation… hmmm… :thinking:

And yes, I’m against the removal of the standard workspace, it was well balanced…

1 Like

I thought it was standard for DCC software classes to include animation if they want to qualify as a well-rounded course (as opposed to students picking what they want to learn), is it not?

It’s a bit sad that because of the way you’re talking I was thinking you were someone that just went out of school and has a very limited experience in CG. But from what I understand you’re a long time blender user and you have enough experience to teach others even on various software.
IMO by using sentences like “this is the worst thing appending to blender” or “one day you’ll understand what I’m saying” or “do your search” to defend very questionable arguments in front of people that may be as good as you are, you just sound really immature and I can’t take seriously what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

A little bit cleanup.

And by the way shouldend be dimensions instead of scale be displayed for transform?

1 Like

hey ! that’s cool !
I found that indeed cleaner, I’m not sure about having the rotational axis so far from other navigation guizmo’s . It look nicer but if you use them to navigate (with a tablet) it should be quite annoying to go from top to bottom constantly.

The floating pannel : I hope this will get into blender , or at least something different because this panel come easily on the way but I’m sure it’s temporary.

dimension vs transforms : I guess it depends on the use of blender. I prefer much more using scale because I work mainly on animation and you always look at scales of bones. Objects are modeled at the right scale from start so you’re generally want to look less into the dimensions rather than scale.

But I guess at some point for modeling you may look into dimensions more often. Knowing that also scale is taken into account for some modifiers (bevel , solidify) and also shaders like SSS . I think if I need to choose between both I prefer to keep scale.

Rotational widget ?
I have no clue but blender should let the user to undock panels.

Hum , sorry I was talking about the Axis Widget that you can use to rotate the 3D view ( the one that you’ve put at the bottom of the screen in your screenshot)
BTW , is this a mocup or something already done in blender ?

All done via phyton script in gimp.
Maybe they should add more icons in top right corner for example rotate and view local,global (isolateted view).

And use the axis widget just for orientation and view switching front, right, top.

Some (but not all) of the tools have tooltips now. Before they all had a similar generic message.

tooltip

2 Likes

I would love to have this panel as a floating panel.
But if we start making mock-ups showing that a minimized toolbar and a floatingcan give an aerated 3D Viewport.

Here is one with a redo panel as two line of settings.

Another one with redo panel in N column with labels on top like proposed by brita’s patch.

Problem with actual redo panel is not that it is too high. It is misplaced and too wide.

I think you are not thinking deeply if you say stuff like that.
Circumstantial evidence is meaningless if you want to judge something objectively.
Sure people are attracted to animation, but without modeling there is nothing to animate.
Also stop bringing that stupid argument about new users. Noob’s become Pro’s eventually. Targeting the interests of noobs over pro’s is dumb and suicidal for any production program.

Because Modo’s animation tools are shit. The UI is all over the place. The character animation tools are shoddy at best and you’ll need 3rd party plugins to do anything more complex. Not to mention that Modo’s viewport is extra sluggish and you’ll always need to render out your animation before you can see it played fluently.
Nobody uses it because its simply not good enough. EVERYTHING else is better.
Also People who are too stupid to change the default layout are hopelessly overextended and shouldn’t be the benchmark for anything.

1 Like

Same here. The N Panel is redundant. The issue isn’t that the Properties panel doesn’t work its that people want a way to easily collapse and uncollapse the panel. If Blender had an easy way to do that, the N panel wouldn’t even be a thing. As of now I consider the N panel the garbage bin of blender. That’s where the developers put settings they couldn’t figure to put elsewhere. It’s imo an awful concept and design. Especially since for the most part it’s completely redundant.

1 Like