Adaptive domain

Hi guys
I am struggling with the simulation again
Why on Earth when I turn off adaptive domain does the smoke not follow the shape of the domain itself?
It stays flat for some reason.
Also why adaptive domain is much slower than the static one?
The platform is a collider for the domain.

Domains can only be cuboidal…i hope that solves your problem

1 Like

It is not the case. Cuboidal shape does not matter. The bottom stays flat after moving the set.
I would have to leave the domain still on the effector but I want it to follow the ship taking off.

Even adaptive domain only works inside the original bounds of the domain you just made.you need the domain to be huge so that eit covers everywhere that cube goes

Rocket Launch Simulation in Mantaflow

The domain doesn’t have to be a cube but complex shapes won’t matter to the simulation except to determine the bounding box.

You can use other shapes of mesh objects as domain objects, but the fluid simulator will use the shape’s Bounding Box as the domain bounds. In other words, the actual shape of the domain will still be rectangular.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/physics/fluid/type/domain/settings.html

@anurag_raturi Is the fluid simulation in Blender Mantaflow? I thought Mantaflow was an add on.

Mantaflow was written by a group of people and put out as open source software and blender adopted it to its build a couple years ago so now it’s a part of blender not an addon

…but adaptive volume can be moved later after a collision with the effector and it follows the moving object.
With the adaptive domain I traced another problem as the adaptation changes the shape in uncontrolled way (back and forth, left right). If the domain goes over and object (engines) a texture on the object becomes black if it gets inside the domain box. I start wondering Blender is useless for my porpose.

Goal of Adaptive Domain setting is to maximize resolution at each frame.
If resolution is 32 and volume of smoke emitted is small, cells are made smaller to have 32 voxels of smoke in one direction.
If volume of smoke grows, at next frame, cells are bigger but not more numerous.
Reality is that when smoke is reaching bounds of domain, no more cell is added, if Add Resolution setting is set to 0.
That panel should renamed Adaptive Resolution.

What you can see moving is bounding box of cells containing smoke, but bounds of volume are still the same. Smoke will not be created beyond bounds of domain + additional cells of adaptive domain panel.

If you want domain to follow smoke emitter’s movement, you have to make emitter parent of domain or add a copy location constraint to domain.
If you have enough resolution not to care about domain, what will shape smoke is collider set-up.

Thanks anurag_raturi. Now I know that tutorials for Mantaflow have value when working with Blender’s built in simulation. The tutorial author may be directly referring to Blender fluids when he writes “Mantaflow”.

The best for me would be to enlarge the non-adaptive domain for a long trail of smoke and fire so it can first react with the platform as colliding effector. Than I should have a chance to move the non-adaptive domain together with the ship taking off, turn around an so on. Non adaptive domain is very fast comparing to adaptive one. Why the boundry of the effector stays the same after moving the domain?

Cache of simulation may have difficulties to update after modifying settings of another object than domain.
Tweaking a setting of domain and resetting as it should, erases cache and allows update.

But you can get into trouble with “visible shrinks” of Adaptive Domain as in my case …

If you increase amount of substeps for emitter, it should be fine.

Size of bounding box of adaptive domain does not really matter.
What is important is if smoke disappearance looks fine in animation.

If many cells pass from an “almost no smoke” status to “no smoke at all” status and suppressed in frame, that may correspond to a big jump of boundary of domain.
But that may correspond to a perfectly fluent animation.

look here at my experiences