"Add" menu missing, can't remove panel

I’m brand new to Blender. It looks really powerful, but I’m lost with the interface. I opened up a user preference panel to see the key bindings for the the 3D view. After doing that, I can’t figure out how to get rid of the panel. Its clear across the top.

In the process I also ‘lost’ the ‘File’ and ‘Add’ menus. I can’t even save my work or add a new mesh object.

I looked through the forums and the online docs, but didn’t find anything useful. The manual mentions you can join panels, but they have to be the same size. I tried making several “User preference” panels across the top and played with the size in an attempt to "join’ the 3D view and one of the “user prefs” panel directly above it. No luck.

I using 2.68 under Ubuntu.

Having to kill and restart every time I get the UI in a weird state is frustrating :slight_smile:

Any pointers?

Thanks!

For the File menu etc just change the window type to Info

To get back to the default layout, save your file, start a new file and load your saved file but disable the ‘Load UI’ option in the file browser window

Why are you making multiple User Preferences windows ? Just open the window from the File menu to give a floating window.

Splitting and joining adjacent windows is extemely simple, I suggest you practice in a blank file.

D’oh. I thought I tried all the types. Missed one :frowning:

To get back to the default layout, save your file, start a new file and load your saved file but disable the ‘Load UI’ option in the file browser window

Why are you making multiple User Preferences windows ? Just open the window from the File menu to give a floating window.

I was trying to get the top and bottom horizontal sections to ‘join’. The manual says they have to be the exact same size. Since there were multiple vertical ‘panels’ on the bottom, I thought I had to make the same number and size on the top half of the screen.

Splitting and joining adjacent windows is extemely simple, I suggest you practice in a blank file.

I can split and join horizontally with no problem. I still can’t get rid of the top panel. It went away when I restarted blender.

Thanks for your help. My creep up the learning curve continues.