I finished my first add-on that provides a bit more complete control of object’s origin and would like to share it. It might be useful for people coming from Maya or Max and missing the functionality to ‘edit pivot’ and also hopefully might make life easier in a few other situations. I hope it’s useful.
It replaces origin menu called with alt+ctrl+shift+c
What does it do?
- Lets you interactively move, rotate and scale the origin of an object. Scaling and rotation works on the values of object’s local transforms. So in other words - you can change the location, rotation and scale values without affecting the objects geometry. It creates a temporary object and moves, rotates and scales it so all the regular functions of grab rotate and scale are available. Like snapping, numerical input, axis constraint and so on.
- It lets you move origin to top, bottom as well as furthest object point in -X, X, -Y and Y directions for any type of Blender object.
- It lets you move the origin to any selected element in edit mode. Actually all the operations work in edit mode as well. Some mess up undo history, but at least there is no need to waste time switching between the modes every time.
- It lets you align object’s local rotation to a custom Transform Orientations (that can be made from elements normal orientation (using ctrl+alt+space or the Transform Orientations section in the n panel). That’s sometimes helpful if you need to restore object’s rotation values after rotation is applied.
- Lets you copy object’s origin from one object to another (from the active object to all selected). You can chose to copy location, rotation, scale or all.