Adding a cycle modifier doesn't seem to do anything?

Hi everyone, I had completely forgotten I had made an account here but I’ve ended up coming back to blender and using it as a proper modelling tool along with Unity as my game engine. I’ve been learning how to properly animate 3D characters now. The rigging process and everything is actually fairly straight forward but I’ve been absolutely stonewalled by the graph editor.

I’m trying to make the animation repeat in a smooth loop but nothing seems to be happening, I’m keeping it all very simple just so I can figure out what’s going wrong. My arm is doing just a simple wiggle up and down but when I use a cycle modifier even though the chart changes the arm just keeps snapping back to the first frame.

I can give you all a screenshot of my chart if that helps.

Edit: I should mention, I’m specifically trying to use the cycles f curve modifier and it’s on a bone.

Hi,

maybe it’s returning to frame 1 because it reached the end of the frame range ?
If not, yes a capture would help

Hadrien

1 Like

After much raging I think I found out what I was doing wrong in my particular case I ended up finding the solution in one of Sebastian League’s blender tutorials here.

Rather than rely on the graph to automatically do everything for me, I duplicated the very beginning pose keyframes and dragged them over as shown in the video and when I did what he did and limited the keyframe one before the end it all worked exactly as it should.

The problem is, I’m still wrapping my head around as to why this is, if anyone could tell me that would be great or alternatively just point me towards a tutorial or article that would be great.

Hi,

maybe it’s returning to frame 1 because it reached the end of the frame range ?
If not, yes a capture would help

Hadrien

Thanks for the response I ended up figuring that out myself, you were exactly right, so that’s what is going on, the timeline needs to be sort of tricked into thinking it hasn’t reached the end so it cycles? That’s very weird, something I’m going to have to look into in detail.

Ugh, I’m blind and tired lol I spotted the same thing in this video as well, I was doing all the steps correctly except changing the end frame.

Of course your end frame has to be keyed with exactly the same values as the first one, otherwise it just won’t loop.