adding bones to an existing armature

Hi all. I have an armature of my character DukDuk and I’d like to add a few more bones to him. When I add them, they don’t show up under the list of bones available for weight painting. I know I could re parent the revised armature to the character but I spent a bit of time tweaking the weight painting and don’t want to go all the way back to that initial stage with the character. Any advice appreciated,

Glenn

I have no idea about weight painting… but all the vertex association stays in tact when un-parenting and then re-parenting…just choose “name groups” and it will add them all to the list…

give it a try on a test blend… let us know if it works :slight_smile:

also there is an add group feature in the meshes edit buttons… I have never tried it, but it might work if you give it the exact bone name as you added… please never quote me on this :smiley:

“I have no idea about weight painting… but all the vertex association stays in tact when un-parenting and then re-parenting…just choose “name groups” and it will add them all to the list…”

Worked beautifully!
Thanks MMph.
Glenn

you could also have just created some new vertex groups and named them the same as the bones- that’s what “name bones” does when you parent a mesh to an armature. I’ve had trouble with it making multiples of groups if I use “name bones” more than once on a single mesh…