Adding in a clip?

I’m trying to use blender as a video editor. So, I imported my clip (in .mpg) into blender. But the audio is longer then the video. I was thinking this was because the video was filmed at a higher frame rate then the 25 blender uses automatically. So, I thought all I would have to do is speed it up a bit. But I can’t, I can’t get the frame rate to change, and I can’t get the speed of the clip to change, can any of you help me?

Thank You.

Anyone, please?

Before you import the clip, change the frames per second (fps) on the format tab to match the the clip. That’s the easiest way to do it.

This is a global setting for the project, so all your clips would need to be at that same speed in order to playback properly.

I can only offer my experience with Blender. On my system running XP with SP3, I have not been able to get blender to render out audio in any file format. Others claim it works, but that is not my experience. Also, on my system there has been a persistant bug in Blender where anytime I render to the Quicktime format, the resulting file is always 1fps. No one else has reported experiencing this but it is still a reality to me. Imagine a video system where you can not output to quicktime and you have no audio either. That is the current state of Blender video editing on my system.

Good luck getting it to work on your system.

I can’t get the frame rate to change, and I can’t get the speed of the clip to change, can any of you help me?
you’ll want to either
A. set the frame rate in your F10 render output panel to 30 fps (standard NTSC button)
or
B use the speed control to re-sync your input (should be able to just type in .30 / .24 or .24/.30 to get your conversion factor between frames to work right)

or
C. You might want to try renaming your video to a .vob - it might be that its supposed to be a .vob in the first place, and the whole multiplexing audio is just off :stuck_out_tongue:

or
D. If you’re still fed up with blender and give up, you could try learning the basics of virtual Dub
http://www.virtualdub.org/

have not been able to get blender to render out audio in any file format.
to get blender to output audio properly, you’ll need to export as an FFMPEG, and under the audio tab, select “multiplex audio”. Also, preset it to H.264 - it works :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve managed to do some video editing with it :
http://vimeo.com/2041538

I’ve also made an entire edited video (36 minutes) / resynced audio using blender

oh yeah, and save often - blender crashes more if you’re trying to preview audio and video / do stuff at the same time. (or get more RAM)

you can also do fades using the gamma cross with a color generator
hope that helps :slight_smile:

Blender’s video editor has made great strides in the past couple of releases. I use it as my primary editor now. I’ve edited some fairly sophisticated video (including some pieces for my Master’s degree) that incorporated dissolves, windowed credit rolls over sliding background images, and sync-sound interviews with B-roll footage, all ddone with Blender. It takes some time to understand how it all fits together, but Blender’s VSE is by far the best freeware video editor available. It beats MovieMaker and iMovie hands down for flexibility and is better than any of the low end ($100 or so) offerings. I’ve been making my living from doing video for over 30 years an have edited with everything from two decks with no edit controller, to dedicated tape-to-tape sytems, to high-end professional computer workstations and Blender’s VSE is the only low-end option that I feel gives me the control I want.

I do use VirtualDub (and Avisynth) for some functions, but more to prepare the footage before it goes into Blender. For example, I run the DeShaker plug-in on most of my handheld stuff before I bring it into Blender.

One other very useful tool for working with video on Windows is a program with the rather unfortunate name of “G-Spot”. This will tell you in great detail the structure of just about any video clip, including the framerate, which is what the original poster really needs to know to import the clip properly.

Other tools that I use include Avanti, Super, Claxa, and DVDStyler. My advice is to hang in there and keep working with it. You’ll find the VSE can do just about anything you need, and when you combine it with Blender’s compositing and 3D capabilities, you really have a powerhouse system.

Thanks everyone, I’ve now got it working. And yes, I love the blender video editor. It’s by far, the best free app I’ve seen.

If you’re using AviSynth, you may want to try this AviSynth-enabled build of Blender. It will allow you to insert AviSynth scripts directly in the timeline. Since AviSynth scripts require that the video be processed on the fly, you may want to use the VSE proxy feature.

I have started an open-source project called BlenderAVC which automates the process of creating AviSynth scripts for AVC and HDV video. I’m even working on a simple asset manager (called BAAM).

Naturally, this is all Windows-only. And unfortunately, my wiki seems to be acting up. I may have to switch to a different application. If you can’t get to the wiki, you can download the project files from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/blenderavc/