Adding large numbers of the same mesh to the surface of another mesh?

Hi.

I’m very new to Blender and 3D modelling in general. I’m primarily an artist who works with physical materials, but 3D modelling is a great way of being able to play around with design ideas much more quickly before I make them by hand, or to be able to demonstrate an idea before I invest the money in materials.

I apologize if this has already come up as a thread (I assume it has) but I am unfamiliar with the correct terminology to know what I am searching for.

Okay. What I want to be able to do is to be able to distribute lots of the same form across another mesh. For example, imagine I have a sphere mesh (for example. In practice it would be something I have modelled myself), and I also have a crucifix shape, and I want the deformed sphere to have hundreds of these inverted and warped cones (that are another mesh I have modelled myself) distributed across the surface evenly but with a degree of randomness, and I want it all to be one mesh at the end with no internal geometry… What would be the best approach to achieve this?

this is done with particle systems. there’s a thread on it. I’ll see if I can find it…

I could not find the thread I was looking for, but this is how you set it up in the particle buttons. just the basic settings here. There is more you can do with child particles and other settings:

Something like this?

Attachments

Sphere-chan.blend (985 KB)