After I have built an armature, how would I add a new bone off of one that has already been created?
enter edit mode and select Armature from the Spacekey Add menu
Also, if you’re trying to “grow” a new bone out of one already there as though you were initially creating your armature, do this, in edit mode:
- Select the endpoint of the bone from which you wish to grow your new one
- Shift-S and set Cursor->Selection
- Spacebar, Add Armature
- Size your bone appropriately, and continue creating bones as needed.
5. Select the first bone you created and the bone from which it grew
6. In the edit buttons window, set the new bone’s parent to be the bone from which it grew
7. Hit the IK button
This procedure will act as though you had just continued creating all of the bones in a linked chain, the default Blender bone creation method.
If you wish to obtain the results by following the optional steps that Harkyman lists, another alternative woul be:
Select the endpoint of the bone from which you wish to grow your new one (in edit mode)
Press [e] to extrude the bone.
(Tip: Hold down Ctrl to make the bone tip snap to whole Blender units from the tip of the original bone. You can use the ‘Snap to’ menu first if you wish to have it snap to the grid).
Doh! Much easier Jarell. I didn’t know that.