Adding vertecties and edges

Hi Everyone,

I’m a NDS Homebrew developer who has recently delved into 3D programming. I first began by drawing polys manually with code by just plotting points and was unaware of an open source 3D drawing tool… until now.

I’ve been watching the video tutorials put out by blender underground and I’m learning quite rapidly. I’m currently watching the 3rd tutorial and have stepped through a vase tutorial as well, so I understand the UI pretty well and how many of the tools work. The question I have to ask seems a bit odd, because it feels like it should be more simple (and maybe it is), but I just can’t figure out a simple way to do it. Here’s what I have at the moment, I scaled a bit and beveled the edges of the startup cube, except on one face, the “right” side. Looking at that face this is what I see:

http://maximus-dev.com/images/model_snap.png

Basically, what I’m wanting to do is add vertecies and edges… almost draw them on if at all possible so that I can afterwards select and drag certain vertecies outward (along x in this perspective) to produce the shape I’m aiming for on this side. The trouble is that the loop cut and knifing tools seem to add edges I’m not wanting and I haven’t got the control down to get what I’m looking for.

I apologize for it being a bit vague, but lets just say I have what you see now, and I’d want to create something like this (bad mspaint mock-up):

http://maximus-dev.com/images/model_snap2.png

Is there a best approach when needing to to kind-of freely create edges/vertecies like this?

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Sylus

I cant really see whats going on properly, could you send a shot in vertex mode with everything de-selected?

I couldn’t post the image on my webspace from work, but attached it instead, I also attached an angled view just to see the model.

I have a followup question that might solve my problem. When I knife cut an edge, it always creates triangles with the extra edges that are produced. Is there any way to remove an edge between to adjacent triangles to make one quad? It seems like it should be easy enough, I go into edge mode, select the edge, and press X to delete, then choose edges… but instead of just the edge the entire face is removed.

Attachments

Don’t know if this is the right approach, but what I’d do is this:

Delete all faces and internal edges. Let’s assumed you have to align in the XY plane.
Select any vertex and extrude it and move it to the required location (Using Shift+z to keep it to the XY plane. With Ctl-click to snap to reference point, if needed). Repeat.
Move vertices in the Z plane, if required. Select all and use W->Remove doubles, i required.
Select four vertices (or two edges) and press F, to make a face. Repeat.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Your post appeared just after I posted. I see that much of what I said may not be valid.
To connect two triangular faces, select them and press Alt-J to join them and make a quad. May not work in all situations, though.
You can also select all planar faces and press F to create a (false) FGon (a many-sided face). This should improve with the addition of BMesh in 2.50/2.51.

The top method appears to be working just fine, clearing the face and then extruding the vertices is working quite well. Where I’m a little confused is closing in a quad face. What I’ve just done, is removed the three faces from the side in the first screen shot. I extruded the top left (upper) vertex and pulled it down, then did the same with the opposite one. I then extruded that one again and closed in the quad, but that’s where I’m not sure if I’m missing something or not. The vertices don’t exactly hook up to each other or merge or anything, but creating the face DOES create a quad. I’m left with one floating edge and vertex that has to be deleted. I figured using the Remove Doubles might be what sort of merges the overlapping vertices, but it didn’t work. Still, I think I’m on the right track.

EDIT - I see my mistake. Once there are 4 vertices I can just select them and make the face instead of trying to create the last edge. Perfect, this is working quite well now, thank you so much!

In edit mode hit w > merge then you have choices how you want to merge, at center, first, last…

Thank you, that is actually going to be very useful as well, I did a quick test with merging two vertices and it worked quite nicely.