[Addon] Backface hiding

Can this be made possible for 2.81? I just want to be able to ignore or hide backfaces while selecting
https://streamable.com/s/pqscd/thatft

Ok I’ll try to update this for 2.8 this w-e.
btw your video doesn’t play.

2 Likes

Thanks!! what I want is being able to press a key, hide the back faces, do my selection and then press the key again to unhide and keep the selection. that would be awesome!! Or better yet but it would be more difficult is to create a circle select brush that would use select front faces only like the option all brushes have in sculpt mode.

sorry I over-estimated my availability. I will not be able to do this this w-e and I can’t guarantee anything about the next one. I’ll just do my best to do this asap.

Ok, thanks!

Finally, update for 2.8:

Notes:

• supports multi-object editing
  • new operator to un-hide and keep current selection
  • changeable panel name in add-on prefs (so you can join it with any other)
  • shortcuts now using F5 to F8 (still changeable in add-on’s prefs)

I’m thinking that it would be better to just have one “Reveal” button that would keep the current selection on the visible geometry and restore the selection in the hidden part. Would you oppose that?

Also note that performance, while being the same as in 2.7x, could still be improved for high-poly meshes. If the Hide Backface operator is slow for your use case, feel free to tell me and I’ll I work on it (when I find the time).

Happy new year

4 Likes

I just tried to install the version 0.4 on Blender 2.82 Alpha (56ef761381ec - 2019-12-30) but I got this error message :

It happens each time I try to activate the addon.

My bad. That was just a folder name issue which I just fixed in the repository.

Since you’ve already put it in the config directory by using Blender’s Install button, you may either use the Remove button in the add-on’s preferences if available, then re-download the add-on, or otherwise go to the add-ons directory:
Linux: $HOME/.config/blender/2.81/scripts/addons/
Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons
Mac: /Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.81/scripts/addons/

and make sure my add-on is in a folder named Backface_Hiding and has no other folder inside.

Other than that, add-ons should generally not be expected to work on pre-release software, as it is always bound to change before the release, so any time spent fixing bugs there may be wasted.

This tool is SOOOOO Useful !
I REALLY NEEDED THIS during Retopology !
This effect is natural in 3ds max but the wireframe in Blender is a visual mess even in 2.81a !
THANK YOU !!!

Thanks for the feedback and you’re welcome! glad to know it’s useful to other people (゚⊿゚) :+1:

@Bracer Just so you know, when it comes to the usual character retopology, there are better add-ons, although not completely free. For example mine doesn’t play well with the mirror modifier, which is something that would require a different approach in how the add-on works.
Also, depending on your situation, not all geometry behind the area you’re working on may be turning its back from you (e.g. a finger behind another finger), so “Hide Backfacing” won’t be of much help on it.

Draw X-ray has that other approach. It addresses both of these issues and works in a continuous way (no refresh needed). It costs a minimum of 0$. However, it doesn’t support multi-object editing and while hiding everything you don’t want to see, it doesn’t prevent you from selecting it accidentally and moving it without realizing it. So there’s a compromise to make.

Then there is the awesome Retopoflow which still has to be updated to work on Blender 2.8 but when it’s out it will probably be the best retopology add-on for blender.

My add-on can however be more useful in other modeling situations, such as :

• modeling without a high-poly reference
  • seeing the parts of a mesh where you should not bother adding details if your camera is fixed, since you can move around while keeping the same geometry hidden.

Sorry I’m discovering blender 2.8 and currently hating it…
I installed your needed addon but don’t find how to use it, where is the menu located ?

Hi,
as for any other add-on, the location is indicated when you expand its properties:

:information_source: Note: Sidebar means the region on the right that you open and close with “N”

:information_source: Other note: You have to be in Edit mode for it to appear since that’s the only mode in which the add-on operates

I hope you get to like Blender more as you learn.

I like blender, but 2.8 not really currently…
OK, it seems that I don’t have the good version of you plugin (0.3)…

1 Like

Ok, I found the 0.4 version, and now it appears, thank you for this tool !

1 Like

Hi, would you mind creating a small custom version for me ?
You don’t have to remove any code, just comment out the buttons.
I don’t need the “Hide Occluded”, it’s annoying that it is there and I might click it.
I don’t need the “Reveal & Restore Selection.”

The whole idea of using this add-on is to be able to enter into this mode to select what I want, to accidentally click on that button to return to some useless selection BEFORE I go into this mode to select what I actually want to select which is the whole point of me going into this mode in the first place is incomprehensible.

So all in all, please keep only “Hide Backfacing” and “Reveal and Keep Selection” remove the other two, thanks :smiley:

@Bracer Let’s see a few things:

• Did you know the add-on has customizable keyboard shortcuts for these buttons? They are in the add-on’s preferences. Maybe this could help you avoid accidental clicks and improve efficiency in the process.
  • Did you also know that all of these operators/buttons have the Undo function enabled? If you accidentally click on the wrong one, you can hit Ctrl+Z (I will give you that it can be slow on large scenes and Blender’s Undo system is in dire need of revamping)

That doesn’t mean you never want to get your previous selection back.

I’d rather make an official update that would prevent anyone else from having the same problem as you than make custom versions for different people, so right now I added a space between those 2 categories of buttons.
For some reason there is either a delay between my update and the zip file update or a bug on Gitlab’s side preventing my update to be propagated to the zip download. So right now I recommend you just download this file and put it in replacement of the existing one and I will check later if the zip got updated on Gitlab.
sidePanel.py (821 Bytes)
After replacing the file, you should see the separator in the side panel. If that separator is too small for you, you can enlarge it by opening sidePanel.py and setting the factor to a higher value, such as:

layout.separator(factor=5.0)

If you really prefer to remove the 2 reveal buttons, you can simply delete the 2 lines below the separator.
The buttons will be gone but their associated operators will still be accessible through their keyboard shortcut or an F3 search.

it should.
Also I confirm it was just a delay and not a bug on Gitlab, so now you can download the zip and install it from Blender directly (make sure to remove your already installed version).

If it still doesn’t work, can you provide me your Blender version and OS ?

Hi, I have managed to download and install the new version, I don’t think I get my point across, let me show a diagram here:
ewrwer
Especially the offensive third button.
If I really want to do that I will just press undo until that happens, the whole reason I use this addon is to be able to select front facing.
The third button basically says “Hey you want to select what you previously selected before you enter this mode to select a new selection ? Ok…oh by the way…let me give you a hint, why not not use this add-on in the first place so that you do not have to go into this add-on to select something only to not select it when you are out of it ?”

I understand your point. There is an issue with the “Restore Selection” button which I’ve mentioned a while ago and it’s in my todo list:

I still think this would be a more logical way to approach the reveal feature (feel free to give your opinion on it) but I won’t have time to code this idea until my next holidays (in may).

As for the “Hide occluded”, I find it useful sometimes. It’s true that it’s not actually using face normals but the effect is similar, yet sometimes better adapted to a situation, sometimes less. If you find yourself accidentally clicking on that one, maybe I should add a separator there too. I gave them different icons to better differentiate them but monochromatic and minimalistic icons are not so differentiable, so I guess I’ll space out the buttons some more.

In the mean time, you can remove whichever button you want by opening sidePanel.py and commenting the corresponding layout.operator line with a # at the beginning and you can add a separator just like I did between any 2 buttons and give it any factor value.