[AddOn] bTrace 1.1 - updated 03-21-12

Thank your fast reply!:slight_smile: Unfortunately step size in my case is already set to 1.

Looking at your screen grabs, it seems a bit overkill to use bTrace though. I would just correct the curves by hand or draw them by hand since the lasers are not very complex paths. The example you show could be made with a curve that only has 4 points, whereas using btrace to do this would create hundreds of unneeded points.

In case of simple laser path you are absolutely true! But there are more complex schemes like this

which I would like to make in Blender. Moreover, it is simpler to find correct angles of mirros by probing them with particles. The other purpose is visualisation of light rays, reflecting from complex manifolds (here paraboloid example):

is useful in finding where the focus points would be. Such uncorrect reflections spoils whole effect.

Another nice thing in bTrace addon, especially useful in complex scenes - with many vertices to trace or many particles, would be indication of tracing progress. For example when I bake physics there is small black box with numbers of frames analized. Something similar would be great! :yes: Because sometimes I don’t know what should I do: wait anoter 20 minutes or restart Blender.

Thanks a lot, I will try to go through them.

Hello is there any update for 2.77 Blender version?
Thank you!!!

Everything seems to still work for me, I haven’t tested extensively but initial tests show nothing breaks. What issues are you having running it with 2.77?

Have you planned update the add-on to work with Belnder 2.80?

I’ve slowly starting updating it trying to get it to work again. At this point, a lot is still broken but I’m updating the code here: https://github.com/scottjwood/bTrace280

I’ll definitely get it the plugin compatible with 2.8, but I’m on the fence about developing new features. Seems like you can do a lot more powerful stuff utilizing Animation-Nodes or Sverchok.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! :ok_hand:

I have installed the add-on on macOS 10.13.6 and Blender 2.80-b936d7b16c62-OSX and it works fine except:
1. Write (Grease Pencil Strokes) option doesn’t appear in the Tools List.
2. The Materials doesn’t applied (all settings). Console error:

[Btrace]
object.colorblender: Operator
Error: ‘bpy_prop_collection[key]: key “Diffuse BSDF” not found’

3. The preferences don’t show in the add-on Preferences, it appears “Error (see console)”.
Console details:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Applications/Blender/BLENDER 2.80/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.80/scripts/startup/bl_ui/space_userpref.py”, line 1846, in draw
draw(context)
File “/Users/Oxer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.80/scripts/addons/bTrace280/init.py”, line 88, in draw
layout.label(“UI Options:”)
TypeError: UILayout.label(): required parameter “text” to be a keyword argument!
File “/Applications/Blender/BLENDER 2.80/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.80/scripts/startup/bl_ui/space_userpref.py”, line 1846, in draw
draw(context)
File “/Users/Oxer/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.80/scripts/addons/bTrace280/init.py”, line 88, in draw
TypeError: UILayout.label(): required parameter “text” to be a keyword argument!
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)
draw(context)

I’ll continue testing the add-on.

@Oxer, thanks for testing! I fixed the easy stuff, updates are here: https://github.com/scottjwood/bTrace280

1. Grease Pencil had a total rewrite that brought amazing updates, but I haven’t had time to dive into that or it’s api yet. I removed the handwriting tool for now as it would instantly crash Blender. I’ll try and add this back at a later date.
    2., 3. are fixed.

I think the animation part of color blender is broken, the UI is also a mess right now. I plan on cleaning that up.

Let me know if you run across anything else.

Hi again,
macOS 10.13.6 & Blender 2.80
1. Preferences works fine now. :ok_hand:
2. The materials are created with colors chosen only if Blender UI is in English, I’m a Spanish (Spain) user and I use Blender in Spanish normally, when I run the script with Blender UI in Spanish the materials are created but the colors not. It appears this error message in console:

[Btrace]
object.colorblender: Operator

Error: ‘bpy_prop_collection[key]: key “Principled BSDF” not found’
Advertencia: Color Blender could not be completed (See Console for more info)

I think that the problem is the material node name -> “Principled BSDF”, that traslated to Spanish is “BSDF Principista” so perhaps this is the issue, the Blender UI translation. I don’t know is this issue can be solved, for me this issue isn’t a big problem I can apply the base colors manually.

Thanks for your effort!!

That error was from how I tried to reference the node to change the color, I changed that from a text reference to a number reference. This should fix that, or at least give it a try. Same download link.

Thanks, you are quick as lightning!! :smile:

Fantastic, It works fine now!! :ok_hand:

hi, let us know when you think it’s stable enough to put in nightly builds

hi, this is in 2.8 rc, everything works, just fixed the particle tracers in time.

3 Likes

Thanks Meta!