Addon : Edge Edge intersection boolean tool (2.55)

OK rickyblender, i think i can reproduce the behaviour.
(the script does create the new geometry, but it is behind the old uncut edges)

i’m on the road tomorrow and i’ll have plenty of time to think of a solution. Thanks guys!

did you have time to re test with the sample pic i fave to you?

nice work and happy 2.5

i’m trying to reproduce this again, but i think we have a language barrier…
i find it difficult to understand which two edges you are trying to manipulate.
please send a picture with the wires in a different colour so i can see more clearly which two edges you are trying (but failing) to intersect. (the image you posted only has one edge selected)

a picture and a blend would be ideal. so all i have to do is hit W here and inspect.

EDIT : THIS POST CAN BE SKIPPED.

So after a quick poke around it seems that before one uses the addon, it is necessary to appliy any rotation/location/scale/visual transforms to the object ( in object mode ->object->apply (…) )

now, i can go various ways with doing this unbeknownst to the user, but should i?
i’d appreciate some feedback from a larger section of potential users… as it stands i will only return to this script when i run into problems myself, or enough people actually use it with undesired results.

saying that, knowing that you have to ctrl+a -> the various tansforms first can save you from some confusion.

Thanks a lot – this goes directly into my default add-ons settings.

BTW, have you heard about the ProCAD extension http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts/CAD/ProCAD ? I made an attempt to translate the Italian interface a while ago, http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mats_Halldin/Sandbox/Incubator-000 , and it contains a bunch of nice CAD tools.

you are welcome Mats, i’m new to blender and have zero experience with pre 2.5 stuff, but during searches
before coding i did find some pretty cool pre 2.5 CAD tools, like migius stuff and this one. I bet a lot of the code is recycleable with only a bit of tweaking here and there for the latest api.

We’ll see how things go, i want to do a lot more python/blender of the next months

mh

Blender 2.54 r32057

It only tells me that lines do not intersect while the edger overlap.

r32333 here and it works as expected. perhaps provide a .blend
maybe someone else can confirm, i’m away for a while.

i’m looking forward to integrating some native blender api calls to reduce the script length, when i get back.

take care.

Though I don’t understand your code completly, I just saw, that with disabling line

point = tm * point

I can slice/intersect in a rotated, scaled and different located object?

Bastian S, thank you for pointing that out, hadn’t tested it much. The main link is now updated with the respective lines adjusted.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Modeling/Edge_Slice

at the start of this post i show some examples of what the script does, but i will be breaking the ‘extend to’ functionality into it’s own menu option soon.

The problem is probably a change in the API,
The latest builds need vector * matrix or vector * quaternion etc.

tm * point looks like matrix * vector which is not supported in new builds.
My experience show, that reversing the ‘products’ is all you need …

yep! in the latest builds that i’ve tried (33604) removing the suggested lines seems to work quite well.

No, not removing, reversing the multiplication arguments, (if matrix * vector, or quaternion* vector)!

can you show me an example of the current script being broken?
Also, how can i get the distance between two verts? i can only get quaternions and they are a little strange :slight_smile:

oh i found it
http://mathsfirst.massey.ac.nz/Algebra/PythagorasTheorem/images/pa2.gif

(v1-v2).length is the distance of the (tops) of the two vectors v1, v2. you PQ!

thanks for confirming pkhg, i had only 10 minutes ago found (vector1-vector2).length in the space_view3d_panel_measure.py.
pkhg, i always appreciate your input sir! (i am not a mathematician… or versed very well in trig). this will keep the code cleaner :slight_smile:

Use theAPI Navigator fantastic script to know the methods of python classes.

You enable the API Navigator in Addons and then open a text window and Ctrl+F to see the API Navigator.
Now bpy is showed. Click Parent button and now go to page 3 and click on “mathutils”. Now click on Vector and you have a list of all the attributes and methods.

Look at mathutils.geometry methods: LineIntersect
to make your code smaller