[Addon] EWOCprojects presents StraightenPlus

Did you watch the demo vid for super taut? there seems to be some interesting behaviours that look useful that you seem to have missed.
its a bit slow to load on my comp.
http://www.indigosm.com/modo2/superTaut.mov
heres some screenshots, it can align all those cube tops with the first and last points on that plane selected as guides.
http://i47.tinypic.com/117a64y.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/serrrt.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/23kq43t.jpg

also in latest update the having to scroll back to 0.99 then to 1 to get it to work bug is back.

Well ,even if theres flatten already in Looptools, Ill be implementing it anyhow in my new addon: it will do all kinds of projections of selection onto an arbitrary plane, and one of the options will be to locate that plane at the average position between selected verts, so in fact a means of doing flattenā€¦

mrjynx: this other addon will be implementation of other features of SuperTaut, as I said Im splitting functionality into two addons, as I think straightening has nothing to do with projection onto planes, which is all the rest of SuperTaut functionality.

also in latest update the having to scroll back to 0.99 then to 1 to get it to work bug is back.

It did work but sometimes only after a second of so.
Whatever, I fixed it, now works as expected.

mrjynx: do you really need the functionality in the first image you posted above,ā€¦ I suppose being able to extend onto a plane is in fact the same when you have the right options to position your planeā€¦

Dont need anything really, its all upto your discretion, but I cannot think how you would do what is done in image one currently.

Still doesnt seem to be working. what I do is make grid, move verts on one side, select loop press straighten & it does nothing, I have to move the slider back and forth for it to work.
I would expect it to straighten then let me reduce the amount.

Still doesnt seem to be working. what I do is make grid, move verts on one side, select loop press straighten & it does nothing, I have to move the slider back and forth for it to work.
I would expect it to straighten then let me reduce the amount.

Ok, I fix again, must work now :S

paleajed i need to thanks you, you really like to code because not everyone is willing to hear ideas from others and implement them so fast you really are excellent in this, you have motivated me to learn python for real

And now it does thanks!

Trying to use this in a model and its got teething problems.

firstly I seem to have to hit the button twice for it to straighten, then when i click off this error message pops up more than once.

firstly I seem to have to hit the button twice for it to straighten, then when i click off this error message pops up more than once.

Fixed : Straighten button now not visible while in operation, instead short docu snippets shown.

You must have been burning the midnight oil with me lastnight with the speed you replied.

for some reason in my blender it still doesnt quite work, the manipulators moving up and down but the verts aint straightening when i adjust the amount. only straightens upon pressing enter.

Ive come to the conclusion its because im using the subsurf modifier.

to duplicate behaviour.
create grid, add subsurf, press little triangle so its visible in edit mode. move verts, press straighten & you should see it doesnt work.

• if i use it once, and dont press enter, then create new file, tab into edit mode, it still stuck on ā€œpress enter to confirmā€ so I cant use it again without closing blender as enter does not work.

Ive come to the conclusion its because im using the subsurf modifier.
New version overcomes this problem !

• if i use it once, and dont press enter, then create new file, tab into edit mode, it still stuck on ā€œpress enter to confirmā€ so I cant use it again without closing blender as enter does not work.
    Thats really not the nicest way of abusing an addonā€¦ anyhow I changed it so U cant use menus anymore now during operation, so then you cant be doing anything ā€œwrongā€ at all !! :stuck_out_tongue:

Its not my normal practice I swear. I just for some reason didnt press enter and it stayed open.

the amount slider still isnt working.
also in this situation pictured, it will straighten the middle curve when i press enter, but wont do the ones above or below if I try to do them seperately.
http://i47.tinypic.com/dyoqi1.jpg

the amount slider still isnt working.

What circumstances when this happens? I do a grid like yours above and slider works perfectly wellā€¦

also in this situation pictured, it will straighten the middle curve when i press enter, but wont do the ones above or below if I try to do them seperately.

What do you mean exactly? You do several operations in sucession on different curves? That works for meā€¦ Are you sure the curves arent straight already? The subdivision could make them seem bent, but they might really be straight?

Now it does. I think sometimes maybe it just doesnt read the new script when i overwrite the old one. even when i restart blender.
But thanks for fixing it anyway.

@paleajed

Thx for the script!

Tiny bug: I just wonder why the enter-button on the numpad dint work?
Maybe a just simple fix for you;)

cheers dave

Fixed! New version on site.

You so awesome fast!!!

fixed in less then 15 minutes after my requestā€¦

THANK YOU!!!

Some ideas:
What do you think about additionally left mouse click confirm?
Might be faster in some situations. Left confirms/right cancelsā€¦

Beside this, i think pressing escape should cancel the operation in every state.
Atm its blocked until you push enter or right mouse button.

cheers

Some ideas:
What do you think about additionally left mouse click confirm?
Might be faster in some situations. Left confirms/right cancelsā€¦

Beside this, i think pressing escape should cancel the operation in every state.
Atm its blocked until you push enter or right mouse button.

Pity I went away or Id implemented these in five! :smiley:
Whatever, I like your ideas so I implemented leftmouse-finalising and ESC-cancel!

Have fun!