[Addon] External Paint Autorefresh FREE

Yep, no prob, I’ll post this in troubleshooting.

I cannot find the way to make it work with layers. Does it only work with combined layers?
Let’s say that I’m working with 2 layers in gimp, one for the base color and the other with the dirt.
Can you export the dirt layer only, carry on painting it in blender and import again in gimp keeping an alfa and fusion mode?

In gimp you can have any number of layers you want. If you don’t want a layer (or layer group) to be exported from gimp, make it invisible or add “ignore” at the beginning of its name (same as what’s done for the UV layer).

When exporting from gimp, everything gets combined into one image, which becomes the image that’s currently loaded into blender’s UV/Image Editor. So it’s like you have an arbitrary number of gimp layers corresponding to one image (or layer or however you use that image) in blender.

Thank you, it’s really a good plugin but I wish it could give more freedom for the painting workflow.

Are you planning for future versions to make some kind of connection between all the layers in Gimp or Photoshop and the Texture Paint Layers in Blender?
I don’t think it would be such difficult to implement (the paint layers addon has an option for saving the layers to images) and that would be really a great feature.

Hi, thanks for commenting. This plugin wasn’t planned to deal with blender materials or layers, since that’s a whole different area. It only considers one blender image at a time, so multiple gimp layers can be used for each blender layer. It’s open source though, in case someone wants to make a modded version.

Well, I was really exited to discover this addon thinking it would save me tons of time. Instead I spent five hours trying to get it to work without success. Everything is showing up as it should - pallets in Blender UV window. Scripts in Photoshop (CS6) and in Bridge. From there on it goes downhill. I can get an ‘autorefresh UV import’ with the correct ‘ignore uv’ layer in Photoshop, but I cannot get a live (or any) link between Photoshop and Blender.
Getting this error message - location: <unknown location>:-1
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘is dirty’
if not area. spaces [0] . image. is dirty: return { ‘PASS THROUGH’ }

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know, maybe something with the Photoshp/Blender setup on your system. Try reinstalling things using all default settings, otherwise try using GIMP. It worked with Blender 2.7 and GIMP last I checked.

Hello i think i got this working for blender version 2.69 and i see the options for the textures ect. but i droped the .py files into the Gimp …Gimp-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins
and nothing happened i dont see any options please help, it looks like gimp doesnt recognize the files

Hello i have gimp version 2.6 and blender 2.6.9
after many hours i finaly managed to get the plugins to be readable for gimp
but then i did as the video and i get error when i try to go in Gimp-> filters -> Blender Gimp Autorefresh -> Uv Import
the error i get says :
Λάθος κλήσης για τη διαδικασία ‘gimp-procedural-db-proc-info’:
Η διαδικασία ‘gimp-image-insert-layer’ δεν βρέθηκε
trans:
wrong call for ‘gimp-procedural-db-proc-info’:
function ‘gimp-image-insert-layer’ not found.
please help !
also none of the other options seem to work all throw different errors
blender side seems to have no errors.

Hello i have gimp version 2.6 and blender 2.6.9
after many hours i finaly managed to get the plugins to be readable for gimp
but then i did as the video and i get error when i try to go in Gimp-> filters -> Blender Gimp Autorefresh -> Uv Import
the error i get says :
Λάθος κλήσης για τη διαδικασία ‘gimp-procedural-db-proc-info’:
Η διαδικασία ‘gimp-image-insert-layer’ δεν βρέθηκε
trans:
wrong call for ‘gimp-procedural-db-proc-info’:
function ‘gimp-image-insert-layer’ not found.
please help !
also none of the other options seem to work all throw different errors
blender side seems to have no errors.

Looks like you’re using outdated versions of GIMP and Blender, try upgrading. It should be working with Blender 2.6+ and GIMP 2.8, but probably not GIMP 2.6. Also check the “troubleshooting” page for more info.

I am going to install this under blender 2.74 an gimp 2.8 on windows 7 tonight. I i will let you know the results.

Edit: I got it working in 2.74 with no problem at all. The only slight problem was that the textures did not show on the default cube in the render preview window. But I am sure that is becasue of something I am not doing in blender so its not a matter of the plugin.

is it possible to update the addon for Krita and 2.76?

Does this addon work with blender 2.79? Thanks

To bad it shows some issues with Photoshop cc 2018. It only works if you keep it to 1 layers. As soon as you a new layer it gives error about document not being save . Error line 5, this line > “var image_filepath = doc.path+”/"+doc.name;"
Sometimes it works just fine, but othertimes document seems to change something

Has this been updated to work with 2.8x?