(Addon)EZDraw Artist Paint Panel: 2D Paint in the 3D View - 2.79b only, 2.8 unsupported

Are you working with a palette addon enabled? Turn that off, and you will see the S automatically drop s the color into the brush. If you use the palette addon, then you will see tha tyou need to touch where you want the color to go before using S to sample, either the palette icon or the brush active color icon.

For now, the addon only works in Blender Render since there are many variables for working with Cycles texture paint correctly and we need to concentrate on getting the workflow consistent - then later we will adapt as more features are added to Cycles Paint.

I will have to check. I did not load a palette add on but maybe it is on by default? I am tinkering with my iPad right. Of so I am not at the computer. Thanks Craig. I enjoyed listening to your guitar playing…many talents you have. Thanks again for your attentive and informative replies.

Funny…I had it checked on my Cintiq Companion but not on my XPS desktop. So I unchecked it on the desktop, saved user prefs and tried the texture paint. It still would not load the selected color until I went and checked it under the plus/minus symbols in that palette. Maybe it is because I started in the cycles render engine and set up my diffuse BSDF node…and then went back to Blender Render.

No…I set it up in a new file with just blender render and the cube. S would pick the color but would not load it into the brush until I went under the color wheel to select the swatch.

So it is not working for me. And I made sure that the Palette addon was not selected…it wasn’t. Wierd.

Hope this image helps to describe what I meant which makes painting in Blender not as fast as it could be:

Attachments

Click your active color (left side) and in your painting, press S. You shouldn’t be making new swatches unless you want to by pressing the plus sign. Only click the search to make it active. I don’t experience this problem here with Blender Render or Cycles.

I understand completely Gil. I think Craig does also. I made sure I did not have the addon called “Paint Palettes” checked, which Craig said was one reason why the selected color would not load. So there must be something else going on that prevents it from working properly…which means loading into your brush automatically without having to re-select it from the menu as your picture shows.

I don’t know enough about Blender to troubleshoot any of this so we will just have to wait and see.

I’ll try to do a test in video form with both render engines and with and without palettes activated

OK…I think i see what I am/was doing and what Gil was doing. I was pressing the S key and then when I was over the color I wanted I would click the left mouse button, as I would do in Photoshop and other programs. That would add a new swatch but would not load the color.

So instead of left clicking i would just make sure i was over the color I wanted and I noticed that it then became the active color…so I did not have to left-click at all. Now it works…even in Cycles. Thanks Craig.

And it even works now with Paint Palettes addon checked. but I don’t see what the addon does so I will uncheck it until I learn more about it.

No need for me to do the video but others might benefit from it. Thanks for your help on this one. Will be a big time saver.

I’ll work it into a 101 for simple coverage of controls, even though they have been covered elsewhere I can see that simple operations might be good to cover in one.

That was the problem, Michael. I was also clicking the left mouse button to select the color. Thank you very much for your help. Now it’s much easier to paint in Blender. I apologize for the confusion, Craig.

BTW, love the addon. Eagery waiting for new updates.

Spirou4D has an idea about how to make the origin/cursor movement easier for manipulating the symmetry paint. I am excited because it means it will be much easier to set up without toggling around to edit/object mode and back to paint.

Looks like a neat addon… bookmarked.

Like Christmas morning for me - I emailed Spirou4D about the idea that I had while making the video, and he set up a Symmetry tool for moving and resetting the canvas origin :smiley:

" Method to use:
When you are on the main Canvas, the button are actived. you are in paint mode and you click on the camera. You go automatiquely in Object mode, you move the cursor where you want the symmetry.
You return on the main canvas and you click on the first button “Set Symmetry Origin” and now activate the x or y paint symmetry and paint…Have fun!
When you have ended, click on reset button and the origin return on the center of the world, you can continue to paint and rotate the main canvas…Voilà!

"

So I will test, and I am sure that this will come in handy for some like me that forget the steps to get this going manually :smiley:

Attachments

Hey Craig,

Just want to mention that the latest update is still listed as version “1.00.00”.

Yes sir, with all the git changes we haven’t gone past that on versioning in getting this ready. I will see if Patrick and I can figure out a versioning that will correspond to git versions on his repo, maybe track that way. I apologize for now, and would suggest uninstall and reinstall here.

No worries. I regularly download non-versioned updates from GitHub. Just thought I’d mention it, since you mentioned this was the first update after release.

Yes sir, and a very cool little update, too :smiley:

This is after all based on my personal use wish list, and Spirou4D has really knocked it out of the park compared to where I started by myself!

I may just manually start matching git revisions from Spirou4D’s edits to keep track that way.

A secondary tool is the Artist Paint Popup, a call menu brought up by pressing V while in tex paint. This allows you to have your screen full without the tool bar in the way, especially combined with the Texture Paint Plus addon.

Attachments