Addon for Bevel Weight and Edge Crease?

I searched on youtube and the entire forum, didn’t find anything. It seems like a basic thing some people would need or want. Is there a addon that lets me quickly Assign Bevel Weight and Edge Crease?

for both I need value of -1 and 1. So 4 buttons would do the trick.

No but there is an addon that turns Blender into your favorite app. Just check Modo and you are done!

Just kidding…

Have you searched Blender Market?

Don’t see anything I think I will try writing a script :nauseated_face:

If only I could write some scripts and even begin to understand how to make that all work, the plugins or addons I would make…

I bought the Pie Menu Editor, so i just copy and paste the command for the bevel weight into my custom context menu, so that kinda works :smiley:

1 Like

I was about to suggest this, haha. For stuff like this, it’s just extremely easy. Note that you could add these buttons to your sidepanel as well, right under the crease and bevel sliders! DM me if you can’t figure it out and I’ll show you once I’ve got a few minutes

1 Like

The easiest way to get into that is actually work in edit mode and have a python console window open. As you do stuff, the command shows up. Creating a simple text and putting the line “import bpy” first, you can turn pretty much any action into a repeatable script.

1 Like

Interesting… hmmm…

I imagine it gets complicated beyond things you can already do. Or dependencies or adding multiple functions together or trying to access the code base to make new tools. And that is more or less what I am referring to.

I tend to start simple, then slowly expand, lots of trial and error, but when doing things like repetitive tasks, it’s very handy, especialyl where it may not be viable to use edit history for some reason.
This part of my video pretty much shows how I do it.

1 Like

It’s been many years so it probably no longer works, but I made addon with similar function in past:

BevelTool.py

# History

"""

15.12.15 - v 0.2 - now also affect edge crease (+ 1 for add bevel, -1 for remove bevel)

11.11.15 - v 0.1 - initial release, 2 bindable operators for hotkeys (add bevel, remove bevel)

"""

# Addon info

bl_info = {
	"name": "BevelTool",
	"version": (0, 2),
	"blender": (2, 7, 6),
	"description": "Hot-Keys location: 3D View > Mesh. Simple addon to reduce annoyances when using Bevel Modifier with Bevel Weights. Compatible with Hard Ops",
	"category": "3D View"}

import bpy
from mathutils import Vector, Matrix, Quaternion, Euler, Color

# Add Bevel Operator

class BevelToolAddBevel(bpy.types.Operator):
    bl_idname = "beveltool.addbevel"
    bl_label = "Add Bevel"

def execute(self, context):
        bpy.ops.mesh.mark_sharp(clear=False, use_verts=False)
        bpy.ops.transform.edge_bevelweight(snap_target='CLOSEST', snap=False, snap_point=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), release_confirm=False, snap_normal=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), snap_align=False, value=1.0)
        bpy.ops.transform.edge_crease(release_confirm=False, snap_normal=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), snap_point=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), snap=False, snap_target='CLOSEST', snap_align=False, value=1.0)
        return {'FINISHED'}

# Remove Bevel Operator

class BevelToolRemoveBevel(bpy.types.Operator):
    bl_idname = "beveltool.removebevel"
    bl_label = "Remove Bevel"

def execute(self, context):
        bpy.ops.mesh.mark_sharp(clear=True, use_verts=False)
        bpy.ops.transform.edge_bevelweight(snap_target='CLOSEST', snap=False, snap_point=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), release_confirm=False, snap_normal=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), snap_align=False, value=-1.0)
        bpy.ops.transform.edge_crease(release_confirm=False, snap_normal=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), snap_point=Vector((0.0, 0.0, 0.0)), snap=False, snap_target='CLOSEST', snap_align=False, value=-1.0)
        return {'FINISHED'}

# Store keymaps

addon_keymaps = []

# Registering Operators

def register():

bpy.utils.register_class(BevelToolAddBevel)
    bpy.utils.register_class(BevelToolRemoveBevel)

# Registering Hot-Keys

kc = bpy.context.window_manager.keyconfigs.addon

km = kc.keymaps.new(name='Mesh')
    kmi = km.keymap_items.new(BevelToolAddBevel.bl_idname, 'ACCENT_GRAVE', 'PRESS', ctrl=True)
    kmi.active = True
    addon_keymaps.append((km, kmi))

km = kc.keymaps.new(name='Mesh')    
    kmi = km.keymap_items.new(BevelToolRemoveBevel.bl_idname, 'ACCENT_GRAVE', 'PRESS', alt=True)
    kmi.active = True
    addon_keymaps.append((km, kmi))

# Un-registering Operators

def unregister():

bpy.utils.unregister_class(BevelToolAddBevel)
    bpy.utils.unregister_class(BevelToolRemoveBevel)

# Un-registering Hot-Keys

for km, kmi in addon_keymaps:
        km.keymap_items.remove(kmi)
    addon_keymaps.clear()

# This allows script to run direclty from Blender Text Editor

if __name__ == "__main__":
    register()

I’m not a programmer but I managed to cobble it together by experimenting with old macros recorder addon and reading info editor output. You will need 4 operators (add crease, remove crease, add bevel weight, remove bevel weight) and a way to assign hotkeys.

Though now I’m pretty sure it’s possible to do without any addons with just keymap trickery:

Change Shift+B hotkey (default is not that useful zoom to border) to add bevel weight +1
Add Alt+Shift+B to always assign -1 bevel weight
Some changes to Shift+E to make it always assign +1 crease
New hotkey Alt+Shift+E to always assign -1 crease

Make sure all these hotkeys are located in 3D View > Mesh > Mesh (Global) category:

изображение

There is small issue with this method: if you move your mouse before hotkey is released, blender will change value from absolute 1 / -1 because this is just how modal operators work. Accurate option ensures that change is gonna be small, but if this is a deal-breaker then addon solutions are better.

1 Like

This is reminding me of Lscript in some ways.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but strangely, I found this easier to understand than LScript, I tended to struggle with that. Though the thing of the python console showing you what is going on helps work out some things.

1 Like

Is the Pie editor worth it ? I was always curious about it.

One word: Definitely

I come from Modo I and use a custom popup menu for all my modelling, not really a pie menu but the addon can do both.

1 Like

Yeah that is what gets my curiosity - I need new pop up menus less Pie stuff

Absolutely! The name has long failed to describe what the addon does, because it’s grown to do so much more.
It’s disorganised, but if you browse through the PME thread you’ll see some of the stuff people are doing with it. I would feel like a limb was taken from me if it would stop working!

1 Like

Very good Time to buy it :wink:

1 Like

I recommend a free addon called Kekit which has several very useful circular menus, one of them has all these modeling functions that you are looking for.

2 Likes