[ADDon] (OFFICIAL) FREE "3D ONION TOOLZ" - v1.02 Released! 1-19-2019 [ NO $ !]

September 7, 2017: UPDATED Stable Version 1.00 (WIP) Preview Video - IN OP

September 17, 2017: Progress Report of 1st Stable Release V1.00

Various Fixes, improvements, and optimizations have been applied and are now being extensively tested before official release.

1 critical fix, regarding Makehuman Characters ( including Manuel Bastioni Lab, which is based off of MH ),
is shape keys are now supported in skins ( ie. Facial Expressions now work in skinz )

Improvements to the Skinz animations ( “animz” ), including a speed boost option ( “Turbo” mode )

UI improvements: Most Checkboxes have been converted to “toggle” Buttons, since the checkboxes seem to produce lag delay, whereas the buttons do not.

Currently investigating issues caused by “constraints”, where skinz may not be accurate - Unknown if supported at this time.
Also, some physics may also not be supported at this time until further investigation / extensive testing.

Onion Toolz Skinz does work flawlessly with Makehuman MHX2 models, MHX Poses/Expressions/Makewalk BVH mocaps,
as well as “normal” keyframed objects.

I am aware there may be users wanting a “WIP” release, which is not going to happen:

Stable Version 1.00 will be released once I am satisfied with the results of rigorous testing along with fine polishing off the addon.

Also, this addon is being developed and tested in the recently released Blender 2.79 Official Release ( 9-11-2017 )
to ensure support in the latest stable release of Blender.

ETA of release date of intial stable v1.00 is not yet known, however, the addon is approx 95% completed based on testing,
and will be released ASAP.

Thank you for your patience, as the coding and debugging processes have proven to be most challenging to accomplish the feats of this particular addon!

here are screenshots of the current WIP panels:

Sept. 18, 2017

An updated video of v1.00 WIP has been uploaded, and added to the OP ( post#1 )

September 26, 2017

The 1st STABLE RELEASE, V1.00, has been OFFICIAL RELEASED!

You may download it in the OP

ENJOY!!!

I will soon begin developing a brand new addon that is unique…

*** A FEW TIPS ***

If you update ALOT of skinz, although the addon deletes objects ( same method as orphan cleanup addon ),
Blender does NOT release the memory. You have to do a SAVE and then re-OPEN your .BLEND
This is a flaw of BLENDER.

It is not recommended to skin every frame (ie. no frame skip, where frame increment is 1)
recommend 5-20 as the increment values, especially if using the “otoolz” animated skinz player (animz).
However, you can do so if you desire at the cost of memory and possibly performance.

For hi-poly count meshes, recommend using the DEC (decimate aka unsubdivide/simplify) of meshes, values 4-8,
to decrease the poly-counts in the skinz meshes, which saves memory and gives better performance.

Instead of creating “skinz”, use the “Markerz” when manually posing characters, or to “mark” a spot

Some modifiers/constraints are incompatible with addon, and may produce incorrect results. Dynamic objects included.

To skin things such as an object that follows a path ( circle, curve, etc ), simply add a keyframe ( recommend @ frame 1 ) for the addon to “see” the selected object has “animation” data.

If you are using the FRACTURE MODIFIER build of blender, fractures can be skinned, if the FRACTURE MODE = PREFRACTURED, and under FRACTURE UTILITIES, you “CONVERT TO KEYFRAMED OBJECTS”

*** RE: Initial Stable Release V1.00 ***

Should you discover any bugs in this release, please report a detailed description here so that it may be investigated.

Thank you, and as always, please have HONOR, AND KEEP OPENSOURCE FREE, as it is intended to be!

October 1, 2017 - Version 1.01 Released

Found an issue with “ballz” options - FIXED!

also, adjusted ANIMZ player speeds for faster animated skinz

First, this is an awesome tool and I am really glad you are offering this for free.

(Nevermind that next part, I fixed it)
I am encountering a big issue though: whenever I use the skins on an armature, the armature modifiers are not applied, so all copied meshes still deform like the original model.

(This is all of the skins, but they are in the same pose as the frame of the animation)

I removed all blendshapes and additional modifiers that I thought might cause the error, but the result is the same. I also tested with other rig setups and in Blender-versions 2.79 and 2.78c.
The console doesnt’ seem to give any errors.

Edit: I fixed this by naming my Armature in capital letters as appearantly Blender is looking for the modifier name instead of the type.

There is also a minor thing that I’d like to mention as it confused me at first. The tool only seems to work when the first layer is visible, otherwise I get this or similar out of range exceptions when it looks for the necessray objects. Maybe an error message there would be cool.

It’s because of stuff like bpy.ops.object.modifier_apply(modifier=“ARMATURE”) in the code that assumes the modifier is named ARMATURE instead of looping through each modifier and checking .type.

thank you for pointing that out.

When I get some time, I will mod that part of code to do a loop-n-check instead of a fixed name

will also look into the layer issue that was mentioned.

With that aside, I hope you find this addon to be useful. I personal use the “MARKERZ” more than the “SKINZ”:

They really help out alot when using MHX2 addons where changing poses moves character. I use a marker as a guide to correct any postional offsets

hi all,
been very busy with full-time job demanding too much overtime.

when I can find the time, will update this addon. :slight_smile:

Hi, any chance this can be updated and fixed? If u are still busy, it’s fine. Whenever u can.:slight_smile:

Hello Everyone !

Version 1.02 beta has just been released 1-19-2019 !

Been very busy with a very demanding full time job and raising children on my own…

I have updated the code to fix the armature issues last reported, and some minor other bugs.
There are more improvements to be made in the future, but I have literally no free time anymore.

I finally got around to this during my 2wk paid vacation which is coming to an end now.

I also want to finish my other new project, the spritez fx eventually

however, my addons will not work with the new blender 2.80 just fyi

anyhow, Happy New Year to all!

3 Likes

A standing ovation from me,not so much for the script but for raising your children on your own and managing it( I hope)!