[Addon] Restore Symmetry (fork of Remirror)

No, I haven’t reported it yet (I am still a bit new to Blender and the community). I think the bug report will work best if I provide a demonstration video along with a Blender file in which I am certain to have 100% symmetric data before the pose change. I’ll try that. It would certainly be great to have it fixed, even if cleanup routines would still be needed for not-quite-symmetric meshes coming from outside Blender.

Good thing. Thanks

I submitted the changes on GitHub, hopefully everything is OK. Not quite ready to propose a better central loop detection.
As for my observation of messed-up symmetry after changing the rest pose - it appears that, if I thoroughly ensure the symmetry of the pose, skeleton and mesh (vertex coordinates and weights), there are no issues other than those due to single-precision floats. The larger discrepancies that I encountered previously seem to originate from slightly non-symmetric poses or skeletons.
In any case, resymmetrizing a mesh without giving priority to the left or right side is a thing that one may need once in a while - whether cleaning up someone else’s mess, or one’s own, or compensating for an accumulation of Blender’s floating-point inaccuracies.

Thank you, I merged your pull request.

New version of the addon is 1.0.3.

This is a smart thing. I suppose this extension is missing in 2.8. :wave:

“Officially yes” but you can mod it yourself to make it work in 2.8: List of addons that work with 2.8 (also seems like someone uploaded a 2.8 compatible version there too)

1 Like

is there a restoresymmetry update for Blender 2.8? If so where

Restore Symmetry for Blender 2.8 - 2.81 mesh_restoresymmetry.py (11.3 KB)

1 Like

H,

Thanks, that addon installed OK but when I tried to use it (OBJECT > Mirror > restoresymmetry) I get a warning (see attached)
that says “failed to find central edger loop”. I have a loop in the center along the x axis. Any thoughts?

Hi. Old thread I know. But did you ever find a solution to the “can’t find central edge loop” issue? Thanks.