[AddOn] Snow Drawer (Updated- 09 - Feb - 17)

Here something I was playing around with. Technique is nothing new I’m sure , metaballs and particles. Kinda put some settings in a panel. If anybody wants to play around with it I can upload a file.

From top view select a face pointing up

Auto weight faces pointing up

Remove or add more snow with weight paint

1 Like

Here’s the file snow_drawer_improved.zip (5.76 KB)

Couple objects, the monkey crashed

looks great, i’m interested in playing with the script

Yes me too…Interesting thing! Congrats. :eyebrowlift:

Me too, similar than one commercial addon.

Very interesting.

Simple and interesting. Good job. I’d like to play with this.

Are you talking about this one? https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?386691-Add-on-SnowFX(commercial)&highlight=snow+tool

Pretty cool looking addon, I’m to cheap to buy it. I’ll upload file later today or tomorrow. I had a brain storm last night and I’m playing around with it some more. Had a preset number for snow height and particles(snow density). I’m kinda making it figure that by object size.

File posted on second reply. Could play around with it more ,but it work pretty good. To get anything looking good gonna have to play around with the settings. One thing to note, make sure the object stays selected. If you make the snow into mesh and the object that the snow is on is not selected it will delete. Also there is a boolean modifier when converting to mesh. Sometimes it works on other times it doesn’t. Check box to not use it if snow it really thin and causing issues.

really interesting script, i think it (the snow) can still fit also as a thick/subtle mud on shoes too or other objects (depending on if more settings to tweak it are added), I’ll try my hands on it for sure. :slight_smile:

@AFWS, Thanks for sharing, interesting script.

Yeah, it can be used for more than just snow. All these settings are under ‘Snow Particles’ particles. Something I was playing with this morning is display percentage settings. It kinda gives the ‘snow’ a random shape. You can place this in panel if you want. Below line 65 add this

col.prop(bpy.data.particles["Snow Particles"], "draw_percentage", text="Random Shape")

Thanks would try it now

Did just as you said, its really awesome. And with the help of the micro-displacement feature, when used in a project
it would really look good. Thanks :slight_smile:

This is just like SnowFX except more manual & less dynamic, but free! Idk if SnowFX helped you develop this tool, but thanks for making a free version.

I’ve been playing with this a little more. Will post a update in a day or two. Fighting a error or two ,but I think I got it working. Here’s what I added, it gives it a different look. Made some updates to panel depending on the mode.

without particle origin tweaked

with particle origin tweaked

This looks like a really cool addon.

Very interesting addon. Thanks

Thanks for the addon. I have tried using a simple cube and it worked but then I tried using a material scene object and it gives me this error. Any clue?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.78/scripts/addons/snow_drawer3.py”, line 197, in execute
bpy.data.brushes[“Draw”].vertex_tool = ‘ADD’
KeyError: ‘bpy_prop_collection[key]: key “Draw” not found’

Also any chance the presets system could allow saving your own? :slight_smile:

Not sure what exactly you was doing when you got the error? Was you trying to add to multiple objects with out making snow into mesh first? It was meant to do one object at a time. My update I’ve been working makes it where you can’t do ,but one object. That line just switches weight paint brush to the ‘Add’ option when creating the snow. I have yet to get that error.

Update:

I know what caused the error. The default weight paint brush name is “Draw”. If you change the name to something else and try it, it will give that error. That’s something I need to fix.