[Addon] Welder

(JohnnieWooker) #51

Hi!
Please download the recently updated version from gumroad. It should run fine on 2.79.

Yes, it is working fine on 2.79a RC.
TYVM
:slight_smile:

Note to those who do it manually:

If Welder doesn’t show up on your add-on list but you have the script & the geo. in subfolder (ie. in “Welder”, as before) either:

A
- rename ‘Welder.py’ to ‘init.py’
or
B - put the script ‘Welder.py’ & the ‘weld.blend’ into the main folder ("…scripts/addons")

(IPv6) #53

I taked some minutes and clean up script and made it easier to use/install. You no longer have to have separate blend with “plane” objects, etc - you can just pick welding object from the objects in scene. I also fixed count calculations to get proper results for weld objects of different sizes. If no weld object selected - script now just creates a curve along instersetcion

Thanks for helpful tool!

(robwor) #54

WOW! It’s Amazing!:stuck_out_tongue:

(colkai) #55

I get an oddity when I try to run it. I select both objects where I want the weld to occur, click the button for weld and instead of creating a curve, it creates an empty, drops into edit mode, but has no geometry. It stays in solid mode, I put the view into wireframe so you can see the result.

Attachments

(colkai) #56

Added Note: If I try it on a cube with an intersecting sphere it’s fine. If I use a cylinder, even if they of different sizes, I get the above result.
EDIT: If I move one cylinder so it intersects the top of the other, then I get a curve. I’m uploading a short video to my YouTube channel to show what happens.

Video is: https://youtu.be/vxAHDDgZDcY

@colkai
add loops to cylinder

… & if it doesn’t weld in full
https://i.imgur.com/LHTMvTc.jpg
(change count in Array modifier to fix)

(IPv6) #58

Try boolean union, does it give any intersection vertex? Script make well job at combining vertex output into curve, but if no vertexes were emitted by boolean op - you will get nothing in curve. May be adding some subsurf before welding would help

It also does not account for non-uniform scale, so you have to Ctrl-A all objects before welding (including weld object itself)

(colkai) #59

Yep, that did it.

(AFWS) #60

I was doing some tweaking to this and kinda merged it with early version of boolean bevel. I made some welds that were solid on the ends for “spot” welding.

(cgstrive) #61

Cool addon with great potential!

I tried to test it in production scenario (bit more complex game models). Few issues:
a) Metric scene scale is not respected. The imported model is MASSIVE and fails to make anyhing meaningful.
b) Using Booleans to create weld is not always possible, infact rarely on model I tested.

Ideally you should let User create manual curve and use raycasting or some other method of quering to align tilt of curve so welds are rotated correctly.

c) Modifier stack or source object data can get messed up (initial selection, pre running weld_op)

(atekdigital) #62

Im getting this error. I have added a default cube and sphere and when click on weld its giving error. Version im using is 0.0.3. Downloaded from Gumroad

Why im getting this error and how to solve it. Any suggestion or help. Thanks

(JohnnieWooker) #63

Hey atekdigital. Have you installed plugin by selecting *.zip file or *.py file. Make sure you install it using *.zip file in order to copy all requiered files. Also you need to select more than one mesh before clicking “weld” button.

(atekdigital) #64

Work perfectly with the zip file. What is the rotate weld option. When click it gives error. I select the cube and sphere and like clicking on the weld this time i select the rotate weld gives the error.

How rotate weld option works. Thanks

This looks really awesome! I’ve been thinking about a tool like this for a long time.

2.80 ready tested on latest build.
welder_2.80.zip (80.1 KB)

List of addons that work with 2.8
(Shohrukh) #67

Works in Blender 2.80? Wow. Amazing work!

(Toudou) #68

Thank for the 2.8 version.
I like this addon.

(Tosky) #69

While the 2.79 version dont run, the 2.8 works just fine. :slight_smile:

(Jambay) #70

have not reviewed the code, but do like the presentation. I may ask later if can use some of the results to create “mortar” for block building scripts I have. that will come much later I must review existing code to conform to next release before modifying (much). thx for contribution - looks good!