Adjacent object modeling

Hello everyone!

Excuse the naivety of the question, but I have a doubt. In the modeling of objects, consisting of several parts (in my case a piece of furniture, consisting of: base, sides, top, doors, drawers, etc. …) that will not have to be disassembled, because a piece of furniture is an object that in reality, once made will no longer be disassembled, as opposed to a 'car or motorcycle, which instead are formed by parts assembled together, which are designed to be disassembled and reassembled if necessary;

In the case in which then I go to model adjacent objects, where one or more faces lie in the same plane, as in the image below, where I have the flounce of the cabinet adjacent to the sides and the base plane; the faces just adjacent, is it more correct to model them, or leave the mesh “open”, as can be seen from the image below?

I have this doubt because shaping also the adjacent faces, inevitably increases the number of polygons of the entire project. But if you can’t see them anyway, because a piece of furniture is an object that I don’t have to disassemble in its parts, I wondered if it’s better to remove or leave the adjacent faces that you can’t see.

Someone can help me?
Thank you!

Hi, @M-777! I don’t have a ton of first-hand experience when it comes to modeling to a specification, but what I’ve read and experienced throughout my journey with CG gives me two pieces of advice/principles.

First, find out the requirements and work toward satisfying those. Your approach will be different if you are modeling for a video game asset versus a feature film.

Second, everything in CG is a cheat. You can hide some less-than-perfect work if the shot has lots of motion blur, the scene is dark, or the item is obstructed.

I guess that boils down to asking what the requirements are and walking the line of what you can get away with without negatively affecting image quality or render time.

Hope that helps!

Hello @Hunkadoodle!
Thanks for your advice, I will take it into account for the future too!
My idea is to be able to sell the model in an online marketplace, that’s why I don’t know exactly what requirements the model needs. A potential buyer might use it simply to beautify and/or fill a room; others perhaps would use it in the foreground for advertising a product, etc…
So figuring out the requirements is difficult. It’s always true, however, that some faces (like the inside of the cabinet ruffle) will never be seen.