Adjust Vertex Weights 1.3.2

Preview-AdjustVertexWeights-130_ezgif

To all riggers,

This intuitive tool lets you easily adjust the weights of selected vertices by dragging the mouse up and down.
The weights are automatically normalized while adjusting, so you can preview what your mesh will look like.

This is very helpful when skinning elbows and knees when you want to get that perfect skin folding result.
Besides skinning with armatures, this tool is also useful for working with weights for things like hair density, physics goals, modifier influences etc.

Features (v1.3.0):

• It automatically normalises weights as you change them, so you can see how your mesh will deform.
  • It works in both Weight Paint mode and Edit mode.
  • It preserves the weights of locked groups (so you can safely work without risk, and also you can safely have vertex groups for stuff like modifier influences etc.).
  • Multi-version add-on: one file that works on several Blender versions (2.79, 2.80+ and so on), easier to carry around with you.

You can get it from Gumroad or BlenderMarket:

7 Likes

Thanks! Handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

@IPv6 thanks! I think it’s handy too.
If you have any questions please let me know.

Well done. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Happy to find a real usecase for this. On Splatypi’s Judy Hopps rig the ear can intersect itself on some poses, but it’s a quick fix when you can pick individual vertices and press a hotkey to drag-adjust the weight.

1 Like

Oh and this works great when used with the Popup Vertex Group List addon (which is FREE!):

1 Like

Hi! Been using this add-on a lot lately, after updating it.

Update v1.3.0:

• Multi-version: works on Blender 2.79 as well as 2.80+ (including 2.90).
  • Code refactor, now it’s simpler and works on theoretically any mode (Edit, Sculpt, Weight/Texture/Vertex paint etc.).
  • Removed the redundant “Ignore Non-Deform Groups” preference. You can just lock any groups that you want to protect.
  • Improved the header text message.
  • Improved the description in the add-on preferences.
2 Likes

How can I work on the mirror X-axis?
many thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @Krysman,
this tool doesn’t have X-axis mirroring yet. It only works on the vertices that you selected.

That said, you can mirror the weights that you just worked on by using the built-in vertex group mirror tool from Blender: Mirror Vertex Group

This is why some people recommend weighting only one half of your mesh (say, the left side), and leave the mirroring as the absolute final step. This simplifies things a lot: instead of having to worry about weighting both sides at once, you just work on the weights of one side until it’s great, then mirror it entirely after you’re finished.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll try :ok_hand:

sorry for the standard question

Does it already run in 3.x

thanks

1 Like

@walt1 wow, my reply took one full month to arrive… really sorry for taking this long to answer.
I think the notification email got buried in my inbox.

I updated it to work on the 3.x series, so now Adjust Vertex Weights works on both Blender 2.x and 3.x.
Take care!

1 Like

thank you for the quick reply :laughing:
meanwhile I had installed the 1.3.0 without error message(blender 3.1.2),
the newest 1.3.1 has however an error message

This script was written Blender version 999.0.0 and might not function (correctly), though it is enabled

all the best

1 Like

Ah yes, that’s a warning message. But the tool will work fine and you can use it as usual.

In order for me to support every possible Blender version with a single script, instead of having a different download for every Blender version, inside the script I have to put the target version number as something very far ahead (“Blender 999”).
This way, plus some magic code, that single script file can work on Blender 2.7x, 2.8x, 2.9x and 3.x, which have slightly different APIs.

But that huge version number causes it to show that warning message when it’s installed.

:+1:

okay thanks for the info
have now blender completely uninstalled
totally frustrated .

Had nothing to do with your addon

1 Like

Sorry to hear about that.
I personally use the classic version 2.79 (which is a few generations behind the latest one). It’s got all the features I need for my specific usecase, and the versions that came after that have some small things that frustrate me too.

Please give it a few days so you can take a rest from it, and when you feel like giving it another try, you can make a thread in these forums asking for tips on how to improve your user experience on Blender. Sometimes people here go the extra mile with helping, it’s really cool (edit: but you have to be very specific, asking the right questions).

I’ll be here if you need to talk. Good luck.

Hi, passing by to say that I’ve updated this add-on to version 1.3.2.
This was mostly a maintenance update, the changes were these:

• Fix for the overlay text not being drawn correctly on Blender 3.x.
  • Added two add-on preferences to control where to show the menu item for this operator.
  • Code cleanup.

Cheers!