Adjusting object material in the lighting phase?

Summarized Question:

In the 3D animation industry pipeline, does the lighting artist adjust the material of the props as well as the light placement?

Full question:

Hello! For the first time last week, I had a lighting experience for sequences rather than single scenes.

There were many props linked to the reference in the scene file that I received, and they were forming a layout with the camera. My job was to place light objects in those scenes.

But I have a strange problem. Some props looked beautiful in scene 1, but certain angles in scene 2 highlighted the specular due to the surface properties of the material, such as roughness and refractive index, which made the color white.

I went through a trade-off here. Reducing the specular of the props and clarifying the color makes the whole scene dark or has a different shadow direction than the director’s intention. On the contrary, maintaining the brightness of the scene and the direction of the shadow emphasizes the specular of the prop, making the color white.

I conducted a lighting experiment for over an hour to balance the two problems, but I couldn’t get out of the trap-off. It seemed like the only way out was to adjust the roughness in the material of the prop for scene 2. However, I couldn’t access the material because the props were supposed to keep links for maintenance(to update the modifications to the prop at once for all scenes). I was also afraid that readjusting the material of the props that the lookdev artist had set during the lighting phase would cause confusion in the overall pipeline public order.

Here I wondered how lighting artists do in a typical 3D animation industry pipeline. What would you do in the same situation as me? Can you solve these problems only with the placement of light objects? Or do you re-adjust the properties of the material adjusted by the lookdev artist for a particular scene?