Adobe gets full access to all your work now. Remember to read the ToS

Wow just 3 days ago. Not “hey I got other opportunities lined up…” but he’s straight up saying “I just resigned!”
I wonder if those in “the know” aren’t happy with what they know.

https://x.com/kyletwebster/status/1797369579372437633?s=61

2 Likes

This is exactly what Meta has been doing with Instagram, using user images to data-feed the AI.

And this is exactly what this is from Adobe - Firefly ‘ethical’ AI tool releases, and shortly afterwards they change their Tos to wording that 100% relates to training their AI.

9 Likes

This has got to lead to lawsuits if Adobe doubles down on this–Adobe Creative Cloud apps are used in major entertainment productions with fierce NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) protections to prevent an in-development movie, show or game from leaking to the public early and hindering sales when it does officially release. Remember when some random British teenager got arrested after he leaked some extremely early footage of GTA6, and people all across social media who have no understanding of how game dev or 3D works were already declaring the still-upcoming game “dead on arrival” because the placeholder assets they were using obviously weren’t pushing the limits of modern game consoles and rendering PCs, yet? Adobe is basically abusing their status as the “industry standard” and ensuring this and worse reputation-shattering leaks are far more likely to get out and damage their most loyal customers’ credibility at best.

This and all the other forceful attempts by Big Tech companies in the past week alone to use our personal information for tacky monetary gain is also some of the most blatant affronts to the US Constitution’s “Fourth Amendment” I’ve ever seen, and at least in the US, I’m confident this stuff will at the very least be challenged in courts for years to come, especially against Adobe, Microsoft and other makers of software that modern workplaces and modern society as a whole requires (meaning we can’t just stop using Office 365 or Photoshop on our work computers just because we disagree with the software company’s decisions, not like how casual hobbyists effortlessly jumped ship from Unity to Godot last year).

Still, this just shows how terrifyingly powerful the major tech companies have become and how emboldened they’ve become in shoving their latest fad (AI in everything) down our throats plus and making us dance for them, and there’s nothing we can do about it, especially if our job requires that specific piece of software. This kind of behavior would be immediately slammed the world over as “spyware” if it came from some random guy claiming to be a “Nigerian Prince” or a “Brazilian Supermodel,” but apparently this latest affront to our personal information from the Big Tech companies is just “business as usual.”

To avoid ending this on too bum of a note, this DRASTICALLY increases the value of “free as in freedom” software like Blender, Krita and Inkscape, since something about their open-source licenses eliminates the incentive to use our data, add DRM or even make us stay online 24/7 at all.

Perhaps my inability to find industry connections or tailor my portfolio to the companies I’ve once wanted to work for is a bit of a blessing in disguise, since as a mere hobbyist, I have no reason to pay for software companies like Adobe to trample over my 4th Amendment rights when there are countless FOSS, free or pay-for-only-once alternatives to everything from Photoshop to After Effects. Meanwhile, people who actually make art for a living are just going to have to hope for swifter-than-usual lawsuits against Adobe or hope things are not as bad as people are making it out to be, and is just another reminder that businesses, whether it is their own studio bosses or the businesses that make their digital art software, seem to get a sick kick out of bullying artist-types specifically.

So basically: If I limit myself to only FOSS software the pros are that I can use them offline, they have no technology or incentive to spy on every little thing we do, and I don’t need to get a second full-time job that pays far more than 95% of art-related jobs just to afford getting and toying around in the software in the first place. The cons are just higher learning curves, I guess, which just means watching a few more YouTube tutorials or asking for help on Blenderartists here before diving right in.

For paid and oftentimes-subscription-based software the pro is that a lot of old people set in their ways arbitrarily declared the expensive and exploitative software the “industry standards,” so learning them would help a ton in getting a job at, say, Titmouse Animation. The main con is that is that they will add performance-killing DRM to make absolutely sure every 30 seconds that you’re not using a pirated copy while they change the ToS to commit full-blown identity theft against you just to help shove AI-generated search results or images down the throats of everyone else, whether they want it or not, and you can’t do anything about it because they’re “industry standards” and you’re just not going to find a workplace that lets you use anything other than Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Word.

Tough choice…

2 Likes

Most of the work I do (proposal drawings in Illustrator) is proprietary to our company, so if Adobe is using our (thousands) of images, they will be sued into oblivion, and I don’t care how big a company they are – they don’t have the clout, or the lawyers, powerful enough to win in this case, trust me. A small, independent studio may get run over in court, but I highly doubt a company like mine would meet the same fate, ToS or not.
We have been using Adobe products for decades, way before they went subscription-only, and they have us over a barrel since we can’t switch to another product with all of our work “locked” to Illustrator, so we’re basically forced to use it. Because of this, we have to abide by their ToS or else we lose decades of files if we switch to another product. Since we are a global company, we have to have an internet connection, which could give Adobe access to our stuff, assuming they could get behind our firewall (doubtful). There are many other companies, like ours, in this same situation.
The point is, there isn’t a judge on this planet that would side with Adobe if we sued them for exposing or using our proprietary data – the US gov’t has clear and strict laws concerning such things. For this reason, I highly doubt Adobe has access to our files; the risk to their company is much too great.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t someone have to somehow prove that data was leaked and used to have a case in the first place?
I mean, if they were to feed it to an AI, as some fear, how would you even trace it?

(asking as an ignorant bystander)

3 Likes

Until you cannot work around the current ‘invalid license’ nag screens anymore, and you’re forced to start using something else…

It would actually be easy to prove if proprietary data was exposed, since we are the only one’s who have it. If another company suddenly comes up with a product or service that uses data that WE created, then both they, and Adobe could be sued.
Upon reading the ToS further, it states that Adobe “doesn’t analyze content processed or stored locally on your device”, so they’re not accessing our data unless we store it on their servers, which we don’t.

5 Likes

Yes, but the software is running on the cloud. It gets locally installed, but it’s always connected to the cloud. Even if you files are stored locally I imagine that they are still exposed to the cloud server and I wouldn’t be surprised if your local data is accessible. Adobe CC is notorious for all of the bloatware/spyware that installs and runs buried somewhere in your machine.

This is just ludicrous:

6 Likes

Do you think that Adobe is about to get Marvel-ed or Disney-ed?

Well, it looks like it.

Adobe wants to steal my shit to earn money with it?
I can play that game too.

I can steal THEIR shit and earn money with it, and there is nothing they can do about it.
Play stupid games, win stupid prices.

7 Likes

I imagine many former landlubbers will take to the high seas over this…

6 Likes

I use Affinity for pretty much everything I would need Adobe for - the only exception is After Effects, which I would acquire with… unsanctioned… methods, if I didn’t get it for free as a perk at my job. The great part is, there’s no reason whatsoever why After Effects needs internet access (I don’t care at all about updates, Adobe updates are just AI nonsense and After Effects worked just as well the first time I used it 7 years ago), and it never will have internet access :grin:

I don’t run After Effects through their malware bloated CC app either, neither of them have internet access and Adobe can cordially suck it

6 Likes

Me too. And funny enough Affinity just sent out a 50% off everything email, which includes their Universal license. Universal License is the all in one all their apps and all OSs Mac,Win,iPad for a single price. $49 I believe.
Perfect timing and you can’t beat that price :grin:

4 Likes

I wish people wouldn’t. This only ingrains the industry to Adobe. Adobe would rather you arrgh then switch and learn a new software suite and then convince all you co-workers to do the same.
There are options that are equally as good or even better than the Adobe suite. People should just bite the built and switch. Let the industry leave Adobe in its wake.

4 Likes

This is what I keep hearing, but switch to what? In the case of programs like the susbtance suite there are no alternatives.

Personally, I’m still using an old perpertual version of Photoshop, and I get all the susbstance suite tools for free because I mod on their discord (plus I’m on the closed beta of Modeler so I get that free too), and I never use the cloud to store any of my work files, but not everyone is in that position.

So, while it might be fine to ‘just make the switch’ for the classic Adobe programs, it isn’t a viable option for the Substance programs. Simply because there are no alternative programs to compete with these tools at that level, or at all.

1 Like

Fair enough with substance but close enough in that case may be good enough, maybe? I’m not a texture artist but how is Quixel? Is it good enough to make you leave the Adobe sh** behind if you had to pay a monthly fee? I guess going Johnny Depp for one app may be the answer then.

Not necessarily. It’s cloud licensing, and certain features do require internet access… But the main executable is not a cloud application.

Don’t use firefly, collaboration, the cloud server, etc.

2 Likes

I’m honestly curious about these obvious alternatives - not even talking about Substance, Illustrator is the defacto prepress tool out there. Corel used to be something until they started having financial issues and then adopted the subscription model as well. Affinity got bought by Canva, and I think I read something about they intend on adding AI to that as well to keep up with the Joneses. I looked for other alternatives, and I didn’t find them.

2 Likes

True, but you can’t just install and then use the programs offline as you wish. It will always want to ‘phone home’.

It’s a very poor substitute for Painter. Quixel software has always been very badly designed. If anyone here remembers the absolute mess of the original Quixel program that ran inside Photoshop?

3 Likes