adobe ilustrator to blender

dose anyone know how to to get from illustrator (or svg) paths to a blender poly(fully extrudeable / modifiable ), iv tried using the svg/ai path importer but it just sems to give me some kind of useless striped down nubs curve i cant do anything with iv tryed exporting as a dwg but blenders import plugin gives me a python error.tanks for your time taking a look at this

my specs are
OSX 10.4.11
blender 2.49
adobe cs2
DPG5
1.25gb ram
Gforce fx 5200 64 meg

It’s not a nurbs curve, it’s a bezier curve. You can’t import them as a poly. You have to extrude the curve first and then turn it into a poly. SVG import works just fine.

ai import is for the older versions of Adobe Illustrator where the data was stored in postscript format. Modern ai files have the data in PDF format.

SVG works fine

ether way it will not let me make faces (ctl f i think) or extrude how do i do this ?pleese help im totaly lost lol

Select your logo/curve in AI.
Save As SVG.
Import SVG into Blender.

NOTE: The quality of the SVG import is only as good as your AI curve. So if you are a novice at AI you may be created bad input. The simplest test is to simply type a letter in Illustrator, convert to outline, then save as SVG.

Now import the SVG file and you should see the curve from illustrator. IF you do not have faces when you extrude, your curve is either open or bad. IF the curve is open, simply press the C-Key to close the curve. Sometimes this happens. If the letter you typed was a lowercase “p”, you will notice that you have two curves. the inner circle and the outer “p” shape. Select them both and press CTRL-J to join the curves into a single shape. Sometimes you can not see the inner circle of a letter “p” because the outer shape it on top of it so blindly right-click to select the inner circle.

Extrude is the final curve test. If you extrude the curve and it does not look right, or partial faces appear, Blender is telling you that your curve is messed up. Don’t fret, sometime a horrible looking extrude is only the result of a duplicate vertex somewhere. Simply select each point (hey you wanted to be a designer) and press the G-Key to move it around, observe the effect on the face. Press ESC to abandon the move on the vertex and it will snap back to it’s original location. Keep working through the points until you find the problem one, then delete it.

This is my trial and error workflow that I have developed, so you get the knowledge drop for free. Don’t give up, try a single letter import first then work your way up to a complex logo.

CTRL-F will not create a face. Again, this is a bezier curve. Curves can’t have faces.

Extruding bezier curves is not the same as extruding a face of a mesh. When you have a bezier curve selected, look in the buttons window. Make sure it is showing the Edit panels (F9) In the “Curve and Surface” panel there is spinner labeled “Extrude” where you can set how much you want to extrude the curve.

Remember if you have scaled the curve any, this will have an effect on the extrude. If so, apply you scaling to the ObData before extruding. There are other settings in that panel that control extrusion properties of the curve you may want to mess with.

Once you have it how you want it, you can then turn it into a mesh if you need to modify it using mesh tools.

In addition to what Atom wrote, if you have two closed curves that overlap each other, that can screw things up as well.

I don’t know if this was mentioned already, but you can convert the curves to poly-segments and then deal with them as with any mesh object (is it alt-c?)

You’ll get segmentation of your curves, of course… anyone know the way to control how dense/fine this will end up being?

The “DefResolU” spinner in the “Curve and Surface” panel controls that.

ok so i have got a handle on this method and iv fond another method (from this forum in the dark ages all be it) will post a tute later it will give you a full poly the only draw back is it can give triangles and be a bit temperamental