Advanced ragdoll (joint limits and no distortion)

I heard a ragdoll armature script for realtime deformation was finaly invented, so I thought it would be cool to have a good, proportioned, complet ragdoll man to go with it. It was build for the rig that commes with the ragdoll but I’m shure you can tweak it for all kinds of amature. Here is the cool features the ragdoll comes with

1- The ragdoll has knee and elbow (I’m french so sorry if I “mispeled” that lol) limits
2- No more hips and shoulder distortion
3- The armature has a simple IK setup with basic pole constrains (+ all his fingers)
4- It was build for the MakeHuman basic model, for good proportion
5- You can adjust the hand friction for a grabing effect (his hands will stick to non-vertical objects)
6- He is relatively simple (21 peices) so you can duplicate him at will (I have a 8 year old crapy laptop and I duplicated 48 of them before serious lag)

Have fun and PLS mention me in the credit if you make a game with it, thanks :D.

Happy modeling

P.S. you can tweak the gravity for more realistic effects

Attachments

Ragdoll.blend (241 KB)

Awesome! You’ve done a good job, Remi.

Cool, the ragdoll works really good. The armature would however not yet work with the script. It might be cool to have a complete set. Working ragdoll with linked armature ready for rigging…
I also wonder how the IKs will react to it :D. You could controll only a few bones with objects and animate the armature real time. (but then not as a ragdoll)

Fantastic job! I look forward to seeing this used alongside an armature. Ragdoll has something I’ve always missed from the BGE

Awesome! You’ve done a good job, Remi.

Thank you. But… how do you know my name… :spin: I don’t remember posting it… :eyebrowlift2:

Cool, the ragdoll works really good. The armature would however not yet work with the script. It might be cool to have a complete set. Working ragdoll with linked armature ready for rigging…
I also wonder how the IKs will react to it :D. You could controll only a few bones with objects and animate the armature real time. (but then not as a ragdoll)

Thank you. Why wouldn’t the rig work with the script ???

Fantastic job! I look forward to seeing this used alongside an armature. Ragdoll has something I’ve always missed from the BGE

Thank you :D. It may take a while for someone to finaly make and release a ready-to-use, but you can still use the separate object technic (hmmm… I might make a tutorial to go with it :eyebrowlift:)

Realy, thank you for your comments… feel good :cool:

LOL! Your username ? :no:

Well basically there are some issues/limitations to consider in the setup with using the script:
-The ragdoll objects and armature must have the same rotation. The armature rotation, rotated 90 around the x-axis is not the same as the objects (I expect that this could be removed but I went crazy :ba: from local and global and relative :spin: positions and orientations so I could not solve it :mad:, yet).
-The bone positions in the armature must be the same as the target objects (shift-S, centre cursor on object and then create a bone in the armature on that position works easiest, also how does this work with mirroring in the rig, I only rigged one character without it and we DO want to have it of coure)
-The orientation bones must be the same as the armature (x,y,z-axes).( Currently you can’t get the starting orientation of the bones, so I use the armature orientation)
-The names of the bones do not correspond to the target objects. This must be the same; or at least structural with some python modification.
-There are bones that are not represented by objects (easy modification by making a name list of the bones to be linked instead of linking all in the armature)
-I dont know how IKs will react, all the bones will have to follow the ragdoll so putting 2 conflicting constraints on it will be messy.
-I believe this is all… (:yes: It is a long list of anoying details)

Oh, I also applied a hair object in my ragdoll so my hair bounces up and down… might be a funny addition.

That is cool!

Does this also work with skinned armatures (vertices deformed by multiple bones in the skeleton)?
Thanks,
Erwin

Well basically there are some issues/limitations to consider in the setup with using the script:
-The armature rotation, rotated 90 around the x-axis is not the same as the objects (I expect that this could be removed but I went crazy :ba: from local and global and relative :spin: positions and orientations so I could not solve it :mad:, yet).
-The bone positions in the armature must be the same as the target objects (shift-S, centre cursor on object and then create a bone in the armature on that position works easiest, also how does this work with mirroring in the rig, I only rigged one character without it and we DO want to have it of coure)
-The orientation bones must be the same as the armature (x,y,z-axes).( Currently you can’t get the starting orientation of the bones, so I use the armature orientation)
-The names of the bones do not correspond to the target objects. This must be the same; or at least structural with some python modification.
-There are bones that are not represented by objects (easy modification by making a name list of the bones to be linked instead of linking all in the armature)
-I dont know how IKs will react, all the bones will have to follow the ragdoll so putting 2 conflicting constraints on it will be messy.
-I believe this is all… (:yes: It is a long list of anoying details)

Oh, I also applied a hair object in my ragdoll so my hair bounces up and down… might be a funny addition.

:eek: humm… sorry I don’t speak chinese, but you seam too know what you are doing so… If my rig has that much problems, could you make your own (but with the same shape) with my ragdoll ?

That is cool!

Does this also work with skinned armatures (vertices deformed by multiple bones in the skeleton)?
Thanks,
Erwin

Thank you, but from the little I understanded from Wraaah… it looks like no :no:.

Well… You used to work for FL3D, right? It’ me, Stoffe!

Stoffe !!! Hey whazup man :smiley:

[Réwii93] Thank you. But… how do you know my name… :spin:
[JESUSFRK14] LOL! Your username ? :no:

Lol, well I didn’t thought it would be so obvious that my name is Rémi, after all… alot of person can’t guess my age XD Waaa ha ha ha ha

Nuthin’, still modeling weapons and still not texturing them :o

is this possible in bge in some painless way?

As stated in the above posts, not with the rig I made. Painless… I don’t think it will ever be painless (especially for the ragdoll) untill an auto-ragdoll-maker is integrated in futur Blender release. Check the Wraaah script (in this forum section) for more detail.

Nuthin’, still modeling weapons and still not texturing them :o

Lol, don’t you think 50 textured and normal mapped gun is a little-bit exagerated :rolleyes:. Anyway, Good luck with that.

Happy modeling

I though my french (very poor), was still better than my chinese :p. I have highlighted the limitations in my explanation, just ignore the rest if it does not make any sence. I just try to explain why it all is limited so someone smarter may have a solution
(is there anyone who feels up to the task… :eyebrowlift:)

I have added a correct armature and the script to the ragdoll, and tested it with the green tube tinghy in the arm. It should work.

And maybe seeing my armature will give a better understanding of the limitations.

@erwin, and yes vertices weighted to multiple bones in the armature deform with both. The script enables real time access to the bones and does not affect the rigging. A fully working example of my rigged ragdoll can be found at http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=170711.

Attachments

Ragdoll_with_armature_script.blend (288 KB)

Hi Rewii93,
Very cool ragdoll, good job!

On problem is that it’s as tall as an 18 story building,

I read somewhere that one blender unit = one meter, so I scaled the ragdoll down.
Here’s the results (much more realistic imo.):slight_smile:

Attachments

Rewii Ragdoll scaled.blend (447 KB)

I know, I know, but I discovered that the object scaling greatly affect its physic quality. The first version of my ragdoll (who was pretty tiny) passed throught floors constantly and his limbs moved to quickly even with low gravity. Just scale up everything else if you want to use it in your game, lol.

I havent checked out the other examples yet…but as far as I can see the armature is useless…its not really doing anything…why is that? is it just there for show?

EDIT: I looked at Wraaah’s version, and I am very impressed. He found a way to apply the armature! :smiley:

well, there was this other dude who came up with the skinned ragdoll-ature script awhile ago. it works awesome for me. but…all i needed to say is ‘nice ragdoll, dude.’ seriously. this will help a lot. oh yeah, and how would i credit you?(screen name, real name, what?)

Well if you want to credit my script then Wraaah from Blenderartists will do fine. Don’t forget the contribution of ideasman42. I used one of his scripts as starting point.

I am happy my script finds its use :D:D:D

And that Rewii93 made his ragdoll to go with it.