Advanced rotoscoping demo reel (not mine)

Neat stuff, but what exactly was this guy doing? Are those outlines mask paths? Is it usually done manually frame by frame?

its the same as the mask tool we have in blender now.
They’re usually keyframed by hand and tracked where possible. You can use them for quite a lot of tasks but as the video says in this case they’re used for 3d stereo conversion. I’d guess the shots are being shot in 2d and he used the roto masks to isolate the elements and then map them to different planes in 3d space so that he could then compute the stereoscopic parallax effect from them.

Sounds like insane amount of work o_O

haha I had a hunch this might be the reel the post was about, and sure enough, I was right. I actually know this guy and have worked with/for him on a few projects. It’s good to see his work getting around the interwebs the way it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

phew, thats an insane amount of roto work.

I’ve done roto on a few characters in AE, and it’s a pain in the backside. Doing that much would be intense :spin:. Interesting technique though, isolating individual body parts, rather than whole characters. Wonder if it makes it easier :confused:.

Either way, great work.

@kettlefish you should take a look at some rotoscoping tutorials by scott squires. He advises to always rotoscope all parts separately that can move relative to each other. Especially when you have roto tools where each shape has it’s own transformations it’s a lot easier because you can set pivot points on joints and just rotate the whole shape instead of moving individual points.

@steveernst117 could you ask him if i was right about the stereo conversion stuff because that was more like a guess? I know you can do lots of cool stuff with rotoscoping but it’s always good to get some inspiration on what’s possible with these tools.
Especially as the roto tools are quite new in blender it could be valuable to know where they’re usually used just to be able to fine tune the integration and workflow.

kettlefish, I asked nate your question, and he had this to say on the subject:

"For normal everyday roto, where a single matte is the goal, isolating different parts of a character and breaking it up into simpler shapes is indeed much easier and less time consuming. In my reel though, where the shapes are shown on the 3D conversion shots, isolating various parts of the character is actually required. For instance, the body of a soldier must be isolated, as well as his backpack, since they are at different screen depths. The closer to camera, the more detail is required to be broken out.In that first shot, Captain and crew were roto’d together, thus only the matte is shown. Once they were close enough to where internal detail was required like articles of clothing and guns and the like, the shapes are shown. I could have shown a lot of this stuff with simple matte overlays, but you would miss about half of what we actually did https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/images/blank.gif:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the comments and the repost! It’s crazy seeing how many views this reel is getting. Now if I could just get the same response on the job hunt :stuck_out_tongue:https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/images/blank.gif"

frigge, did that answer your question, or were you wondering more about staggering plates in 3d?

Edit: he says your first post was spot on. :slight_smile:

Steveernst117

Thanks alot. I wasn’t expecting a reply. But could pass on my thanks to nate for a great response.