Advice about progressing in 3D art

Hello, I am new in this industry. I’m working hard to get better everyday, but I have a question; I want to create characters but I don’t know where to start. I didn’t sculpt before and I am not very good in 2D art. I am also drawing everyday to get better at 2D art. What are your suggestions ?
I was modelling objects and interiors for 2-3 months to know Blender better. But I believe my passion is creating charaters.
And I am very scared about starting to learn sculpting/character modelling. It seems very hard and it looks like if I don’t have a talent for it I’ll fail. I want to see what community think.
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talent comes primarily from repetition. Starting out, you’re going to have to accept the fact that you’re going to struggle plenty, everything will seem overly difficult, and your results won’t seem to be worth the time and effort you put in making it.

Realize that it isn’t just you. It’s something everyone goes through to some extent. As long as you keep at it, work through those moments of discouragement, and challenge yourself, you’ll eventually get good.

5 Likes

Thank you, I guess I needed someone to say these words. It means a lot to me. I’ll keep working hard and challenge myself no matter what.

1 Like

Also, try to have fun with it. Goofing around has probably done more for me than hours of drills and practice.

1 Like

Yes you are right. It was the main reason to get started with blender at first. I will remember that.

I am not a character artist but I wanted to chime in and say when you are not sure how to progress often you can just work on copying a work you admire. You will learn a lot in this process. Of course you want to structure developing your own voice too but often the most efficient use of time is focused copying.

2 Likes

Thanks for that advice, I think it’s a good beginning too.

2 Likes

In general getting better at traditional art surely will benefit you. But you should definetly use a 3d program to learn the concepts about it too, somethings are too different than traditional art (most import anthings are topology/edgeflow)
If you are drawing, try to improve and challenge yourself, just drawing is fine but usually doesn’t improve much, try to actively pay attention to details. Try playing around with clay too if you can, to get a better understanding of volume and form.
Also anatomy knowledge would be good too, first learn it then try to break the rules. Not knowing the rules from the start usually doesn’t work well, unless you have a style you formed with a lot of trial and error.
If you have a good foundation, you just need to get used to the program you use. If something doesn’t come up as you want, that can be done much better with practising traditional art or even photography.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will apply your advices while drawing/modelling. I know that learning these will be challenging and also fun. I hope I can be really good at character modelling one day, that’s my goal.

1 Like

There is a lot of good advice in this thread already. I can add mostly that I agree.

But I wish to put a time reference on it.

Be thinking in weeks and months on one thing. Drawing for example you can never really learn enough. Modeling characters months, years. And overall as an artist think in year-long segments of progress and imagine where you will be in 5 to 10 years.

Focus on one thing. Know it will take time. Keep at it.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will focus on just one thing. I hope in 5-10 years I will be where I want to be.

1 Like

I definitely think you can get there much sooner than 5 years with good practice and consistency. An important thing I’ve learned is to know when to just call a project done and not dwell on the details. If you’re doing a project to improve and there’s no real reason to continue getting picky about details then just call it good and move on to the next project. I have wasted a lot of time and learning experience worrying about details wen I could’ve just called it good and started on my next work. Good luck on your journey!