Advice: am I crazy?

(Eku) #1

First off, let me thank all of the good people doing such great work in Blender and CrystalSpace. This is my first post in this forum, but I’m well on my way to “blenderhead” status, having worked hard to understand and use the program to its fullest over the past few weeks. Amazing capability, and like everyone says, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Now I just have to practice, practice, practice.

The purpose of my post is to get feedback on what I’m trying to do. In essence, I’ve decided that I’d like to become a “cybertect,” and design 3D immersive environments for use in education, tourism, and occasional game-play. Some years ago, I began to research augmented reality systems as a means to display and present 3D environments, but was quickly put off by how expensive and rudimentary the current technology was in providing a truly immersive experience. That’s not a knock on people working in the field by any means - its just that the technology of augmented reality hasn’t kept pace with the capabilities of 3D real-time rendering. I have since discovered Blender and CrystalSpace, and have decided that I’d like to become proficient in both as a means to create immersive 3D environments, letting the display technology take care of itself for the time being.

Problem? I don’t know C++, though I’m learning it in my spare time, I’m just learning Blender, and I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to computer technology in general. (I’m a CAD-jockey architect by profession). Am I crazy to try to learn all of this at once, or is it feasible for a reasonably motivated person to figure out? Is it worth pursuing a career as a “cybertect”?

PS: here’s a great link for exactly the sort of thing I’d like to become involved in: http://www.miralab.unige.ch/subpages/lifeplus/HTML/home.htm

(Modron) #2

you won’t know until you try so the sooner you get started the better.

(OTO) #3

Sure, go ahead
Y0u’ll maybe not be rich and famous but you’ll be trendy :slight_smile:

Bye

(Skapie) #4

mmm, I’m not ready to give career advice on this forum, but with regards to being crazy to learn all these things at once? I don’t think so no. I must say that you might get discouraged if you get in too deep too early into all the technical stuff, but the cool thing about blender is that it is designed for people that don’t know how to program.

My advice would be to learn things as you need them. Thereby you will keep on getting results for the work you put in!

Good luck :wink:

(Dr S) #5

Go for it!!!

When I started with blender I knew almost nothing about computers, 3d and art.Now I still know nothing about computers and art but the fun i have Had with blender is immeasurable.

Perhaps learning the python scripting language would be more useful
with blender than c+/c++ as python is intergrated with it.

Have Fun

Dr S

(Dr S) #6

Go for it!!!

When I started with blender I knew almost nothing about computers, 3d and art.Now I still know nothing about computers and art but the fun i have Had with blender is immeasurable.

Perhaps learning the python scripting language would be more useful
with blender than c+/c++ as python is intergrated with it.

Have Fun

Dr S

(Drewu) #7

Hey, you might whant to only click the SUBMIT button onece, Dr S. It is kinda annoying when people double post.

(goldentaiji) #8

Eku welcome to the forums. Hehe I say go for it. I=f you have the drive and determination you’ll get the hang of it like anything else you decide to do.

Wow that stuff from the link looks cool. Hmm someone did something like this before for their museum of cavemen (old artifacts). Try to do a search and take a look at it, it’ll give you some inspiration. I’ll try to search it up too when I have more time if you can’t find it.

As for being a cybertect if it’s worth it or not. I say if you love doing it go for it. :wink: Lol well if you’re financially secure and all already.

Jason Lin

(Eku) #9

I appreciate the encouragement. I’ll forge ahead, then.

goldentaiji:
The Pompeii thing is really amazing, isn’t it? I see some form of this as the future of tourism, though I certainly hope we don’t become so enamored of our headsets that we never leave home. Hence my hope that augmented, not virtual, reality holds promise. I couldn’t find the site you mentioned, anything else to go on? As for being financially secure: heh, yes, I have a day job. :smiley:

OTO: trendy? Yech, I’m too old for trendy. My hope is that what I’m trying to do will become a viable career path, not a “fad” thing.

Dr. S: good point. Python is a good choice to learn as well. I’ll add it to my list. (gotta be a lot like C++, yes? I can only hope…)

(goldentaiji) #10

:frowning: Ah man I can’t seem to find the thing I mentioned too… Gosh I hope someone else remembered it too.

The .blend was for cave artifacts. Sorta like an interactive walkthrough in blender where you can walk around and explore a few things. You could click on an item like a spearhead and it’ll pop up with it rotating with the information pertaining to it. Some one has to remember that. Lol I would upload it too if I could find it, but it’s kinda large too if I remember correctly.

:smiley: Good luck on pursuing your new career.

Jason Lin

(Eku) #11

Since its a .blend project, it occurred to me to look on the Crystalspace site for related projects; there’s a thing called “virtual Annelov” which sounds something like what you’re talking about.

I’m pretty jazzed on what I saw in the projects under development there - CS sounds like a good fit for me, once I learn the programming aspects. Full speed ahead.