Advice for working with books

If I were to make a tutorial (which I probably never will, since I don’t have the patience for it), I’d do a bone dry narrated video for the reasons I listed above, but I’d also include a .pdf file alongside it explaining all the steps I took in the video in a nice, easy to follow bullet list as a reference to fall back on later.

The combination of both would work pretty well together. You get to watch the process being performed, and once you have that in mind, you have the document to help you stick all the various bits and bobs of said process in your head.

And…, that you can under-line, highlight or dog ear

1 Like

Or write in the margin :wink:

1 Like

If you want to up your game financially, I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Badass-Making-Money-ebook/dp/B01HPCSD54/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=you+are+a+badass+at+making+money&qid=1632240626&sr=8-1

Have you read or looked at this book?
https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Creating-Characters-Blender/dp/1912843137/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Yes, I have read it from cover to cover and I think it’s very practical and fantastic

1 Like

Is it that one with the apples? I have the video files and the blend files (most of which I have issues opening on my current computer). Would the subtitle files work as following along if I print them out using NotePad or WordPad (or something similar)?

The one with the apples is from CG Boost. The book is from another artist

I was wondering if the free course from CG Boost that you mentioned at the beginning was the one with the apples. I have all those files (video, subtitle, blend, and texture). I was just wondering if the subtitle files would be sufficient to working that course where I don’t have to switch between the video and Blender. Another idea that came to me earlier is to sort of transcribe the speech in the video and then work it (not transcribe it word for word as I’ll leave that for music, but mostly the directions as to what to click and select). The first book is from Oliver Villar and you are right about it being very good (I worked through part of it with Blender 2.78, 2.79, and a little with 2.80). With that book, I even discovered another program that I could use (Krita for digital drawing and painting).

It’s not me who mentioned the course with the apples, I believe another member mentioned it, and then I mentioned it based on your comment to that member :slightly_smiling_face:
I think the subtitles can be enough if you’re familiar enough with Blender, and if that doesn’t work then do as you suggested; to write the steps

Would the Blender 2.8 Fundamentals work with Blender 2.93.4? I have downloaded a good part of that and was considering going through that before continuing Noob to Pro.

Yes, it works

1 Like

I just downloaded the remaining videos and I’ll start watching in a bit.

1 Like

Besides the ones mentioned already, are there any other books and/or video tutorials that people would suggest I use (other than the ones from Blender Guru of course)? They don’t have to be Blender specific (I have the 3 editions from Peter Ratner called 3-D Human Modeling and Animation and the two Ken Brilliant books that I’m aware of Modeling Digital Dinosaurs and Building a Digital Human and the first edition of Modeling a Character in 3ds Max). I also have Blenderrella and Humane Rigging DVDs that I ordered through the Blender shop some time ago. Thanks.

There’s a lot to be said for picking up a cheap second monitor if you have the desk space. Blender on primary screen… video tutorial or ebook on secondary.

The main problem is that my current computer only has VGA and HDMI out and my old Dell monitor only has VGA in. I was really asking for suggestions on books and/or video tutorials to work through to really get good with Blender.

The only reason I excluded Blender Guru is because I’m planning to work through them starting with that donut tutorial series (then to the chair series).