Advice please on graphic card GFX 650

I know there are many threads about graphic cards and I’ve read most of them and came to the conclusion I should buy a GTX 650. I knew there where some different flavors (TI versions and 1 or 2 GB), but when I started looking online where to buy one, I got completely lost on which one to buy.

I am buying a new card because my current one (ATI Radeon HD 5700) keeps crashing when I work in Blender. To be honest I don’t have a lot of money to spend right now, so I’d like some advise on:

What GTX 650 version is the best for the bucks?

Should I get 2GB with 128bit bus speed, or go for faster bus (192bit) and 1GB?

The cheapest I can get is EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Superclocked (about 100 euros). I am willing to spend some more if it really brings something extra, but I have no idea how much I would benefit form 2 instead of 1 GB and 192 bits (the TI versions I believe) instead of 128 bits. So if someone could explain the differences you’d be my hero for the day :wink:

I have not played much with Cycles yet, and at this point its not a priority, but maybe in the future… The main goal is to get up and running Blender ASAP, but still hope to make the best choice since I won’t be buying another graph card for at least a year.

Thanks for any advice!

I know there are many threads about graphic cards and I’ve read most of them and came to the conclusion I should buy a GTX 650.

Why did you come to that conclusion?

I am buying a new card because my current one (ATI Radeon HD 5700) keeps crashing when I work in Blender.

Are you sure it’s the GPU? Is the display driver crashing or the PC freezing? Sometimes Blender just crashes. If you use a 32-bit build, it will crash from just running into the 2GB process limit.

The cheapest I can get is EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Superclocked (about 100 euros). I am willing to spend some more if it really brings something extra, but I have no idea how much I would benefit form 2 instead of 1 GB and 192 bits (the TI versions I believe) instead of 128 bits. So if someone could explain the differences you’d be my hero for the day :wink:

I haven’t looked, but I’m fairly sure you can get a better performing GPU from the 5xx series for that money. Having more memory is crucial, because if your scene does not fit into the limit, you cannot render. 1GB is very much on the low end. As for the memory interface, it affects performance, but you should really look at the benchmarks to see.

It is the driver crashing, then win7 ‘recovers’ from the crash, and the Blender window is an empty white and frozen. After restarting Blender it will crash even faster and the whole system is slower on graphics performance (e.i. switching to windows of other apps. takes a second or more) until I reboot.
Also I have 64x system and use a Blender 64bit build (2.67)

Yes, that was my first conclusion from reading the threads, but there is not a store over here in The Netherlands that sells it anymore. I’ve looked into buying one second hand, but I am not comfortable with that (the card goes in my work pc). Also the only one I could find (EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB) was still 80 euros which I find pretty steep for an older second hand card with no warrenty.

Thanks Zalamander, I’ll look into the benchmarks.