After Effects Integration - Masking objects

I’ve fallen in love with Blender over the last month or so. I’m coming from Cinema 4D… still a NOOB. :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing C4D has going for it is its tight integration with AE. Blender, from what I’ve seen, is a close second.

The only thing I can’t figure out is how to render out an object buffer.

Say you have a scene of a couple of iphones, I want to post-composite the screens. But I need an object buffer so that when the phones overlap, I can mask out the background phone in AE.

In C4D, you add a compositing tag, give the object a buffer number, and render a B&W out in multipass.

I know Blender HAS to be able to do this, but I’m not finding how. Thanks in advance for your help!

Object ID or Material ID passes.

As organic mentions, setting the pass index on the objects you want to isolate is required. But that is only half of the solution. The other half takes place in the compositor where you map the object index to a file or node chain for processing. This node tree will get you traveling mattes that you can use to isolate the cube and sphere objects in After Effects. I have routed the object index to a PNG file for each object.

The node setup then blurs only the sphere and recombines the two for a final output. But with the traveling matte output you could easily do the blur in After Effects as well.

Attachments

265_using_object_pass_index.blend (110 KB)

Thanks guys, I was about 1/2 way there, just didn’t think about taking it through the compositor. Thanks so much for the help.