After you're dead

I was thinking, now is an interesting time to live for sure… Even after we’re long dead our words will still live on in these forums and in other places strewn across the net. If the human race doesn’t end up annihilating itself our words could in fact become immortal. I don’t see any reason not to keep an archive of our conversation here. People 1000 years from now may read this post on a primative graphics site called ElYsiun and think back to how it was. Don’t you feel a sence of awe when you think of that?

Ya, except for the fact that it’s VERY unlikely any of the data will last that long. What with the possiblities of god knows how many server crashes, hardware problems, viruses, etc, etc. Not to mention the changes in technology. It’s also VERY unlikely any of this data will be compatible with the computers in 1000 years :slight_smile:

But yes, it is fun to think about :slight_smile:

Well, I guess that all depends on whether there’s a copy of the server data around somewhere, and whether we’ll have a source of fuel capable of keeping all this running then.
Hard drives die, though.
[edit]Ah, Mr_Bomb, you beat me…[/edit]

There will always be archives though… Have you checked out the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org? And as for compatability, it’s not like HTML is assembly code, in fact it’s very human-readable!

Just read “Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings” by Charles h Hapgood. He’s a cartographer who scouted the world’s archives and museums for ancient maps mainly used by the Portugese explorers in the 1400’s. What it all boils down to is that all these maps had pretty accurate charts of all the continents and islands, including Australia and the Antarctic, and what’s more, the lat and long were accurate in most cases between 0 and 5 deg., something the Portugese were incapable of at the time (you need to know the exact circumference of the world to project accurate lat and long).
After a few years of study he shows that all these maps were compiled from (possibly) one original map that used a projection method similar to but not the same as Mercator’s (1569). One of the maps (Piri Re’is) shows Antarctica’s landmasses as accurately as our modern seismographic maps and he speculates that they (or the original from which it’s compiled) must have been done at a time when the continent was free of ice as the rivers and mountains are mapped as accurately as is possible to determine seismographically. Similarly, the map of the interior of China which uses the same, unknown projection method and is carved in stone, shows all the rivers with extreme accuracy except for the Yangtze which we know has changed its course three times since 1500.
So it’s not inconceivable that something contemporary could survive.

%<

correct fligh%, but it isn’t likely that something will survive that long

[oh, and to respond to the people above, I wouldn’t expect people 1000 years from now to be able to read our language as easily as we can, by then it will be as forgen to the natives [of that time] as 1000 year old english is to us [you will not be able to read it at all, but many experts will]]

I’d almost be willing to bet [I’m too broke] that blender will not last 20 years… few applications [or hardware setups, but applications dont’ care] have so far… chances are blender will not be one that does

… sure will be interesting if it does

hrm, I wonder what the oldest popular open source project is… [is linux only 6 years old?]

I think this is a very interesting time to live…
I’ve seen the millennium, I have seen stuff that other people have never seen around their millennium…
I have lived while a war was in IRAQ and saw it on TV… also saw how two big buildings crashed… I have seen how technology is evolving and everytime when I see something new and better come out it makes me happy…
I can drink with my friend and go to parties and listen to music…
NOPe I don’t want to die… :smiley:

Really? So how many books that where written in 500 do you read?
Or that where written in 500 BC? Old boring stuff. So will CG be in 3005, that’s at least my best guess.
And theese pages are not stored in HTML, they are stored in MySQL, pretty unreadable documents, 'cause you’ll have no idea what post is in response to what other post. Most image links will be dead.
And on new device systems I must say that I don’t have many data I had on floppy restored to harddisk. I have no idea if I can read my ZIPdrive.
But luckaly it’s not really worth saving anyway.

I had a discussion with my room mate yesterday about peak oil.
One of the conclusions we both agreed on was that it will be highly unlikely that, if we dont find a good alternative for oil, we’ll have internet in the future.
And without internet all the data on forums etc will eventually be deleted and the space used for more important things

For some reason I’m not to worried about that.
Maybe it’s because I believe that it’s not in the oil companies interrest to find an alternative for oil as a fuel (and they are powerfull people thoose oil people, hell, the boss of the world is a oil company owner) But once we are out of oil that interrest will change.

Ripsting, I have the same sense of awe, but in another direction, as it were: at the moment I’m reading ancient Sumerian myths, translated from clay tablets inscribed something like 4000 years ago.

The book I’m reading is “Oxford World Classics: Myths from Mesopotamia” (Stephanie Dalley, translator).
In the Introduction to the Gilgamesh epos, when describing the difficulties of reconstructing the story from many different, fragmented sources, the translator writes: “Some tablets were written by schoolboys whose muddles and omissions reveal their immaturity and, perhaps, the speed of dictation, rather than true textual variation”. Schoolboys who have been dead for thousands of years suddenly spring to life when you read that sentence.

Perhaps thousands of years from now scholars will painstakingly decipher these messages from our time and realize that we were real people.

(For “Old boring stuff” Whatever: “Eduba:Schrijven en lezen in Sumer: Herman Vanstipthout, uitgeverij SUN”.)

This is weird to think about.

I do think 3D will last. Look back to ancient times. They would draw images in sequence to tell a story. Isn’t that just primitive animation? Now, today, we still make animations that can be hours long. Why should 3D be different?

And we still read old literature. Look at Shakespear, Homer, all those religious texts, and Newton. It may be a little bit harder to understand, and yet they teach a lot of it to highschool students, so how difficult could it be? :wink:

-Laurifer

hmm… I dont realy care if annyone read this 1000 years from now, I wont be there to see it lol :wink: . it would have been cool tho… Hello ‘people 1000 years into the future’ :stuck_out_tongue:
lol! , I dont want to use time to think about what people might read about me in 1000 years. Just live and try to get a nice time when you live :slight_smile:

I don’t know about you NOR.J but I’m leaving with a big bang and taking everyone with me (including you)

Cognitive dissonance?

[quote=“xintoc”]

I don’t know about you NOR.J but I’m leaving with a big bang and taking everyone with me (including you)[/quote]
i dident understand what you ment :S , your going to blow up earth and take everyone with you? or will you live when the Big Bang comes? lol what ever… I dont want to consern about annything before it is happening :slight_smile:

I ment that I’m going to leave so that everyone in 1000 years from now will remember me and dig up information about me from elysiun… :wink:

The fact that we could read something written 4000 years ago doesn’t ensure the correctness of the thesis, that people will be able to read some today information written, ie. on CD or disks.
Today’s data storage policy is not focused on making longterm storage. After 10-20, maximum 50 years all the data will be lost, if not constantly backuped on the newer, less erroneus storage devices (at least constantly backuped on new CDs or disks).

I am enjoying a thought, that after 1000-2000 years, people on earth will be wondering why haven’t nobody invented a computer before the year 4000, when first computers were made. Of course first computers were made in XX century more or less, but how could they know, if, for instance, something really international will stop the history being taught to newborns. Something so simple like a disobliging conflict, or a silent meteor…

So, getting to the point, why we are so sure that nobody in the past ages had a working computer? Maybe they had them, and stored their data on their marvellous new disks, despising the low-tech stone carvings… but only the stone carvings lasted?

Yeonil

i would like to think that all of this information would be saved for the future.

but in truth the only thing that could survive, i would think, would be maybe an image of these words in stone in several languages with pictoral diagrams for references included. In fact, that is about what the rosetta stone is!

I really do think that if anything is important it will be saved. Today we are so much better at keeping records than before. I think that the library of congress or something similar would remain, in electronic form, preserved by becoming the backbone of a much larger global information database.

I have a feeling the world’s going to end in our approx. lifetime so I don’t think it matters.

I don’t think that our words will remain for long even if that’s not the case. Some forums delete posts after a certain length of time. Since Elysiun is only text, the entire site is probably only a few GB so maybe size won’t be of concern but some posts are just junk. I doubt people will want to read them again. After all, why bother searching for e.g. an age thread when you can just make a new one?

Also, we have so much information that it’s hard to find the useful stuff. Google struggles constantly to find good info. Not to worry you can always use www.msn.com %| - they’ll record everything you search for too no doubt.

What I find interesting about this sort of thing is that if I wrote a book about someone called Jesus H Christ today, I wonder if people would believe it quite as much as people today believe authors a few millenia ago.