Agent 327 premiere

As someone who only joined the Blender community this year, could you fill me in on what was wasteful about Cosmos Laundromat?

I liked it!

That’s a rabbit hole that goes deep… Lets just say it was a predictable disaster. The project wasn’t liked, it was centered around a personal pet project that focused entirely on film and ultimately a lot of fanboys attacked those in the community for not being on board with it (crowd funding). They advertised it as an experiment and a “leap of faith”, of which a ton of $$ was expected to be raised/given. Small blender based studios were all going to be working on it at the same time (in various parts of the world) with different art styles appearing throughout the “project” (pretty obvious why that was a bad idea).

Additionally they encouraged blender users to go out and troll…er advertise and promote the project, which only ended up pissing more people off outside of the “Blender Bubble”. Developers were redirected onto the project as well as resources (steam workshop funds for example), all with the intention of making this “massive” feature film. The idea was stupid and critics of the idea were attacked by literal zealots.

It was just bad all around, too much ego resulted in even worse PR. Money was wasted, it could have been directly spent on just developing the tools and features.

As I predicted, the project went no where and it served the purpose of being nothing more than a very expensive tech demo. That’s not to say there were no development gains, but rather they could have happened regardless of the project. It could have been advertised as a quick tech demo focused on the features rather than the story and ego of the director.

Anyways feel free to read up on it and come to your own conclusions:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?332018-Gooseberry-Discussion-about-the-discussion

Wow… nice work and good genre aesthetics.

Brilliant, each project that you do is better than the last. Congratulations for this short, will give much to talk about.

Is it a teaser ?, will a whole movie be made ?

Welcome to Blenderartists.com, I would like to advice to you not follow all the comments that you will be reading, try to make some background check before answering a comment because some people will waist your precious time. Hint CG (art) is time consuming. For me and many other Gooseberry (Cosmos Laundromat) project was a successful project that brought Blender, at that time, to the next level. After gooseberry i have noticed that Blender was more taken seriously in the industry. Think about this quote “little progress every day adds up to big result” :wink:

Would be nice to hear Martin Lodewijk’s opinion on the final result :slight_smile:

Not bad. I don’t know this comic so I can’t get fully in the story as others here.
As a total ignorant I would say that I like the irony, the rithm and the script is not disturbing even if it crossed the edge between kid’s audience with teenagers’ audience in some scenes.
But I’ve got a biased opinion on cartoons with this (pixarish) style, I mean, I believe they are very attractive for kids so they should stay in the kids field.
Again I don’t know the comic so I cant really judge the story or the chosen target audiece. Just an opinion.
Looking foreward maybe for more details to those who don’t know the comic.

Anyway reading your comments, even if it’s somewhat a physiological effect, I wont throw in the discussion a comparison with that blender’s demoreel called Cosmos Laundromat.

Just out of curiosity, what does it make your "and many others’ " opinion in matter not a waste of precious time?

Very appealing in every way. Image, sound, voices, animation!
Waiting for the amazing final product that it will be!

Top visuals and intriguing story, I would love to see more of it.

Here is a nice reading about the project.

Martin was there at the premiere.
Apparently he said it was one of the big highlights of his life. He seemed very happy :slight_smile:

That must be so fulfilling to hear, having worked on the movie, considering you´re trying your best to respect his vision.

The realistic lighting really stands out compared to other CG movies. Is this the hand of Filmic Blender? The detail in the barbershop startled me.

My only criticism would be that it was too short :wink:

This teaser will really get people in Hollywood to take notice, and I wouldn’t be surprised that some big name studio will get involved with finishing Agent327.

Hopefully we’ll see more feature films involving Blender. The green screen and camera tracking in Blender would lend themselves for a live-action sci-fi movie, for example.

Agree. It’s only one single voice actor: Thom Hoffman.

The strory is much more intriguing than the previous what’s it’s name project was, and that is important. I don’t know the comic this based upon, but it is strange seeing both childish gags and implied serious violence in the shot.

Kinda miss that in movies now a days. When I was a kid in the 80’s most movies were crazy like that by incorporating murder/violence and goofy slap stick humour in one.

Plus, they didn’t kill the guy that was strapped. Surgery is not far off how they did it in the short, just less anaesthetics.

Special bravo to the sound people and Thom Hoffman! Also the editing people! It looks great aswell! Well, no wonder… it was made with Blender:RocknRoll:

You mean like, say deadpool? :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing new :slight_smile:

It’s really stunning both artistically and technically! Amazing work everyone involved!