Alembic Export from Blender 2.76 to Unreal Engine 4.9 ?

Hi. I nave seen that for Unreal Engine 4.9, according to their roadmap, Epic plans to add Alembic format import support . In Blender roadmap, Alembic support is planned for 2.76. Does that means that in the near future you could export Alembic files from Blender to UE4 without the problems imposed by reverse-engineered fbx ?

put the word alembic in your favourite search tool on the net.

you will find on page 1 the word open source.

you can also read the licence here;

so thankfully no licence problems

Import/export is not planned for alembic right now.

As far as I know, Blender will only be able to import alembic files for the beginning. Export will have to come at a later time.

Which is odd considering import/export is the biggest problem with Blender in my experience. Alembic would bypass a lot of issues.

The goal of the BF is to make everything inside Blender, not to work with other softwares.

As campbell said, with alembic in blender, a dev could add the import/export easilly, just need to find this dev, inside or outside the BF.

Well that view is not at all consistent with the numerous import and export options that have been around and improved on consistently with Blender. Alembic is just a fairly recent format that solves a lot of issues for all apps.

And I don’t agree that is the goal. It may be your opinion. And it may even be the opinion of some people in the BF.

But Blender’s survival depends on interaction with other software. This is not limited to Blender. It is true with all software.

Such a view is not at all consistent with reality as far as how Blender is actually used as well as developed.

Alembic is a viable format in terms of issues it solves and should be embraced, just as other apps have begun to for the same reason.

Additionally looking at Alembic as strictly a way to talk to other apps is limiting. Alembic also has advantages to be used in the host app.

Alembic is an open computer graphics interchange framework. Alembic distills complex, animated scenes into a non-procedural, application-independent set of baked geometric results. This �distillation’ of scenes into baked geometry is exactly analogous to the distillation of lighting and rendering scenes into rendered image data.

Alembic is focused on efficiently storing the computed results of complex procedural geometric constructions. It is very specifically NOT concerned with storing the complex dependency graph of procedural tools used to create the computed results. For example, Alembic will efficiently store the animated vertex positions and animated transforms that result from an arbitrarily complex animation and simulation process which could involve enveloping, corrective shapes, volume-preserving simulations, cloth and flesh simulations, and so on. Alembic will not attempt to store a representation of the network of computations (rigs, basically) which are required to produce the final, animated vertex positions and animated transforms.

Alembic Would Be Used…

• …To bake the results of an animated scene for hand-off to lighting & rendering
  • …To hand off an animated creature for cloth or flesh simulation
  • …To store the results of a cloth or flesh simulation for use in lighting & rendering
  • …To hand off animated geometry to a physical simulation engine
  • …To store the results of a physical simulation engine for use in lighting & rendering

Many people use this format within the host app to reduce large scene overhead. This is another thing Blender could benefit from.

Sure there are other caching solutions in Blender and other apps for that matter. But Alembic is getting more and more use because of its efficiency and simplicity it can add to otherwise complex pipelines.

http://www.alembic.io/

What Richard is saying is 100% True.

Modern high end workflow requires use of multiple applications (e.g Houdini<->Maya or Max with all its plugins). There are no single solutions that satisfy all needs.

Ironically we have endless feature request threads and no PLUGIN API. These threads end in one conclusion - no dev resource. I have said it before - enabling such formats like Alembic will open countless doors and solve many of these issues. For instance Houdini with Indie license (199*/yr) can replace countless plugins.

I find it also a bit sad that the only OPEN source 3D software does not have the OPEN format that all other major players have integrated (max,maya,houdini,c4d,modo etc)

Alembic is not new and if the BF wanted to have it, we will have it for some years now.
The Octane plugin can export in alembic since last year.
The import/export is not planned, so it’s becauset they don’t care about this feature, they make alembic for caching, nothing more.
Maybe one day they will make an import/export, but it’s not a priority for the BF to work with other softwares.

For example, UDIM is an industry standard, why can’t we use it in blender ? (I made a node to add maps, but impossible to create udim uv’s in blender, I have to export in maya for this).
It’s usefull, we could use mari for painting and make great assets for movies etc.
But it’s not planned like the import/export for alembic.

Right now, the BF adds some tools like opensubdiv, ptex etc, but it’s not for working with other apps, it’s only for blender.

As a freelance artist, I would like to habe blender more open, to use it with mari, nuke/natron, substance designer/painter, etc.
We can do a lot of things in blender but to work with others in a professionnal way, we need to be able to work with other softwares.

and Right now, as I can see, it’s not planned and I think, the BF doesn’t go that way.

Alembic is very new in Blender. Software development, just like art, is often done in an iterative way. The first step is to integrate it properly. This is not yet completed. Just because everything is not there from the very beginning, doesn’t mean it won’t be implemented.

Just like all changes that should happen, there is no shortage of disagreement.

Having an objective look at how Blender is actually being used is consistent with the best interests of everyone when it comes to funding and development as they both feed each other.

Blender is used with other software. People who use Blender are potential sources of income for the BF.

Features that embrace how Blender is actually being used brings in more users, which brings in more money which means more development.

Simple math.

form 2011 year http://ramencomp.blogspot.com/2011/10/alembic-exporter-for-blender-work-in.html

future wishlist

alembic i/o
udim
qt integration

Did any official person state that the import/export would not be implemented?

Why are you asking me? I am merely responding to people who seem to think this is the case. I don’t assume anything one way or the other. Just responding to this opinion.

It wasn’t clear for me to whom you were responding and I though you expected that import and export wouldn’t be implemented.

I tend to forget that I am in the BlenderArtists forum where discussions about opinions are more welcome than facts.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.blender.devel/43925

Lukas Tönne | 24 Mar 14:39 2015http://cache.gmane.org//gmane/comp/video/blender/devel/44112-picon-001.gif

Re: Alembic support in Blender

No, it’s just an internal caching feature atm. We are aiming to have some
basic import/export from other software eventually and make the format more
compatible. You can come to the #blendercoders irc channel if you have
questions, my nick is lukas_t.

Sure opinions can be as - or even more - important than facts. Why?

Because this is how ridiculous rumors and idiotic “truths” come into existence. “Everyone knows” and all that follows is often traceable back to just some bloke saying something in a thread. And if enough people chime in and agree, it becomes “fact”.

Lacking any facts in the matter myself, I chose to simply comment on this opinion, which clearly is prevalent and I don’t think very healthy.

Thanks for this. :slight_smile:

Sorry I did not even read this. My apology. I can see where the conversation went awry. May Fault. :slight_smile: