Alembic format in Blender

Good point. It’s fairly well-known that the blender institute isn’t always terribly interested in devoting resources to tools that do not directly benefit the development of movie making inside of blender (FBX being a counter-argument to that). However, if Alembic support in blender is mainly for caching (to start), that theoretically already means you can send an alembic cache from another app to blender. It may not support all of alembic’s features, but it’s a start. I honestly expect it not to really evolve much past that unless another developer steps in and implements it the rest of the way (possibly during another GSOC). This may be frustrating, it frustrates me too. But there are only so many developers, so I’ve learned not to get pissy if the devs don’t have enough resources to fully develop all of my favorite features.

Let me state that I REALLY want full Alembic support in Blender. My biggest desire in that area is to be able to import/export camera data. But I don’t EXPECT the devs to do it, nor will I be furious with them if they don’t have the time to implement it.

The BF will need the funds to at least double the size of the core team if you want adequate development and maintenance for all areas of Blender, and it’s not going to come easily.

Another thing is to tackle the issue with no resources for patch review and helping volunteers, which fortunately seem to be in the beginning stages of doing (which I hope will only advance).