Algorithm Deficiency?

Before you start reading this post, I’d just like to say: I am not being critical of Blender at all. I have used Blender for years and believe it’s a great, powerful piece of software. However, I do have a question.

What exactly is it about Blender’s smoke simulator that makes it lacking in comparison to other smoke simulators? I’m primarily wondering why it is very difficult, if not impossible, to create realistic large-scale smoke/explosion simulations in Blender. Is it the algorithm Blender uses? Some sort of missing feature? I’m genuinely just curious. Here’s an example of a FumeFx simulation that I’m comparing it to.
Also, just as a side note, I know that a significant amount of people using FumeFx are professionals who put a lot of work into their simulations. But I’ve never seen a Blender smoke simulation that was even similar to that realism and quality. So that’s why I’m inquiring about this.

Again, Blender is an awesome piece of software. I love it and use it all of the time. :slight_smile: