Alien Egg

I’ve been having a little go at an alien egg but am a bit stuck on how to get two textures to merge nicely. Ignoring the colours can anyone suggest a way to make the egg shell texture merge with the opening bit? Both textures are procedural (voronoi and cloud).

http://www.z7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/egg_side_view.jpg
http://www.z7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/egg_top_view.jpg

Very Nice egg, did u use displacement map for the bumps?
To get a nicely merged texture you would have to make your own texture for it and and maybe blur the edges together. I don’t know if it can be done directly in Blender

Very Nice egg, did u use displacement map for the bumps?

Yes! Thanks to a comment made by Fonix Wircs I set about learning displacement maps and applied it to this egg…

To get a nicely merged texture you would have to make your own texture for it and and maybe blur the edges together. I don’t know if it can be done directly in Blender

Shame on me for thinking it would be simple! If the texture is procedural then how do I make my own version of it and get it to match?

well here’s a way:
uv unwrap the mesh
create a texture and use its alpha channel, it defines regions of one or the other procedural
layer the maps so procedural one is on bottom, then the uv with stencil checked, then the second.
I think this will work, though I usually paint textures directly (no procedurals)
It used to be that stencil didn’t work for bump maps, but I think this has been fixed .

Woah, cool, like it a lot, i was thinking about making one of those. :stuck_out_tongue:

well here’s a way:
uv unwrap the mesh
create a texture and use its alpha channel, it defines regions of one or the other procedural
layer the maps so procedural one is on bottom, then the uv with stencil checked, then the second.
I think this will work, though I usually paint textures directly (no procedurals)
It used to be that stencil didn’t work for bump maps, but I think this has been fixed .

Thanks! I don’t understand much of what you’ve said but I will endeavour to find out and give it a go!