Alienware or precision pc for bge

Which is better for bge and cycles, alienware or precision.
Alienware = I know can support multiple gtx cards.
Precision = Quadro cards which are not really good for blender cycles nor bge because of cuda.
So which would be better and faster.
Choices are alienware 18 vs dell precision m6700

Alienware is like apple overpriced for the inside components and just has a big brand name. i don’t know much about precision but if the card doesn’t work well with cycles and your buying the pc for blender then it’s probably not the best thing.
Your computer should be able to support all parts of blender to ensure you can use it for more than just game making if you decide to do so in the future.
Also i don’t suggest getting a quadro card because of poor performance when trying to play proper published games like battlefield or bioshock etc.
I suggest you look into custom building.
Its at least 1/10th of the price of buying from the store and gives the benefit of customization.
find out all the parts you need and get a custom computer builder to make it for you, its worth researching!
I custom built my pc for both gaming and blender and it works great, it even meets the recommended specs for BF4(battlefield 4)!
The whole build only cost me around 1750 ish dollars and was definitely worth it.
my pc specs:
intel i5 3570K
gigabyte ba b75m motherboard
16gb ram (transcend i think)
128gb samsung ssd (boots up computer in 20 seconds or less)
1tb seagate hdd
Nvidia gtx 660 2gb
650W corsair power supply
+awesome $100 case and lot of other bits and pieces.

Custom building is definitely worth looking into! even if it does require a bit of research, it could potentially save you 100’s or 1000’s of dollars.
my pc from a store would cost $3000+

hope this helped, when looking at a pc don’t forget to compare the specs!

Firstly, you say that a Quadro would be poor for cycles BECAUSE of Cuda, when infact, cycles only works with Cuda cores. It doesn’t work with AMD/ATI for that very reason. However, as I look at the specifications of the Dell Precision M6700 I see that it is infact NOT an nVidia Quadro, but an AMD FirePro; The Dell would infact be actually useless for cycles, except it’s CPU.

The Alienware laptop has a very hefty CPU and dual GTX 770 cards, that’s a lot of GPU horsepower and that would be excellently exceptional for both cycles and the game engine. The absurd amount of Cuda cores would tear through cycles renders like tissue paper. But it is more expensive, and probably heats up like a muqin bendan and chews battery life like a rat through cord.

If I was in your situation, with this much of a budget, I would certainly build my own system from specifically selected parts:

$99 - Thermaltake Chaser A31 Black Tower
$819 - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB)
$679 - Intel Core i7 4930K
$177 - 3 x Corsair Vengance 1x4GB stick
$239 - ASRock X79 Extreme6 Motherboard
$105 - Western Digital WD Green 2TB
$95 - Thermaltake Smart Power 750W 80
– Optional –
$179 - BenQ GL2460HM LED
$49 - Logitech G100s Gaming Combo | Mouse and Keyboard

Total w/ optionals - $2441.00
Cheaper than both laptop options. Not as portable as either, and not as powerful as the Alienware, but is cooler, quieter and has MUCH more storage.

If you don’t need a laptop, then you could just buy a normally priced PC (like $400), and just plug in a nice, cheap $60 graphics card. If you need a laptop, then look at the laptops, and see what their graphics cards are. Then, look up graphics card reviews for them.

I am definitely choosing the beast that is Alienware 18.[video]http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/video/en/new_alienware_m18x?l=en&c=us&s=dhs&~lt=bodyonly#oo id=U0ZTUxYzqoQu3nba0taiNQhJ1SMl-rXN,83Z2s1Yzq-iKWRcuCrPBsF6k3z6L5_gF[/video]

I tried the alienware in my local store and it is really bulky and heavy. It’s not really a portable computer much more than a tabletop PC and the price was astronomical. I wouldn’t imagine it being the best alternative to anyone.

There’s no sense behind gaming laptops. They won’t last because of heating (no matter what), you can’t upgrade them. If you buy the same performance in tabletop PC you get it for less than half the price and can also upgrade it. Been there, done that.

People who buy Alienware are usually victims of marketing and/or don’t probably pay for it themselves…

They choose to buy it because they want to and it’s heavy because of it’s awesome components
As for the price, it’s a bit more expensive than the precision but that’s because it’s better for it’s area.
People who buz an alienware should NOT be thinking about normal latop grade battery life because that’s not what it’s built for.

Before you impulse buy on an Alienware product because of the promise of having extreme power, do your homework first and try to find consumer reviews of the product (because the review sites might rate it based on the one to two days they have it for testing and consumers will use machines for years).

You will find that a lot of people, while a few experiences are good, start seeing systematic failures of certain parts with their machine starting anywhere from a day to a few weeks out (possibly more). The question with this is also making sure that the PC is carefully put together with parts durable enough to withstand years of heavy use.

You know what I recommend for a laptop? An ultrabook.
You know what I recommend for gaming? A desktop.

Actually, with some setups on laptops these days, you can get away with a single laptop. I have a HP Envy m6 1206tx, and it has a dual-graphics setup. (By dual graphics I mean you can use one graphics card or the other, not both at the same time)
On the light-graphics card I get 6+ hours battery life typing/browsing the web.
On the heavy-graphics card (Radeon 7670M) I get ~2 hours battery life typing/browsing the web, with ~1 hour gaming.

To be honest, the setup in the laptop is more powerful than I can use currently. I’ve only maxed things out a couple of times, and that was me just testing to see how much it can handle. I don’t play games all that much, but with 8gb ram and quad-core 2.6ghz it’s hard for me to find anything pushing more than 50% processor. Most of my blender games stick around the 20% mark. (Neon Ball is at 17%, DEEP Space at 15% )

So do you really need the power of an alienware laptop? I doubt it.

I agree with sdfgeoff. If you want a laptop, get a nice, cheap, portable computer. If you want to play games, get a computer specifically for that. This could just be a desktop computer. If you need to swap out RAM, or the CPU, or the graphics card, it’s possible with a desktop computer. With a laptop, as far as I know, you’re pretty much stuck with what you get.

Also, saying “People who buz an alienware should NOT be thinking about normal latop grade battery life because that’s not what it’s built for.” is okay, but if you’re going to get such little battery life that you constantly have it plugged in, you might as well just get a nice desktop computer and card for 1/3 of the overall price and twice the capabilities.

Don’t just buy it (or have it bought for you) because it says it’s powerful - do the research like sdfgeoff says. Since you’re buying the computer for gaming and game development, it would be wise to see how powerful the card really is by checking reviews on the card. If you want to ask for help, it would be wise to ask on multiple places, like the “Tom’s Hardware” forums.

Also, having dual graphics cards sounds like a good idea, since there’s two cards to do rendering in half of the time, but check to see exactly how well support such systems (SLI) is. It might be unsupported by 90% of the games out there. As an example, a quad-core CPU sounds good, but as far as I know, most applications will never make a use of the third and fourth cores, as they weren’t built to.

I too place my vote for a custom build.

But be warned… buying “the bleeding edge” is a lot like buying a new car.
Totally not worth it after 1 year.

For game design you don’t need a wicked fast rig. In fact I think you’d do better in the long run on a medium powered system. When making a game you want it to run on the majority of ppl’s systems. The majority of ppl are not even going to have medium range gfx cards, and there isn’t a lot involved in game design that really requires high end machines to do.

I’m not saying bigger isn’t better ofc. If you have tons of money to throw away, F it, but a cutting edge computer is totally unnecessary for creating games. In my opinion.

I would avoid the X79 chipset as it really is a dead end. Ivy Bridge -E performance is not that spectacular, and it still lacks built in USB 3 support (instead manufacturers use 3rd party controllers that can cause problems). If you really must have a performance computer, try out the i7 3770 (the non overclockable version, so not the 3770K) as it is powerful in single thread performance and relativity cheap. Or you could go for the gamers friend, the i5 3570K and get it overclocked.

I would also avoid SLI or Crossfire as despite the hype, it can still be flaky. I bought an SLI GeForce 8800 Ultra setup and I was floating on air until I realised most games (including Crysis for a while) did not support SLI. Think about getting the best solo card as it makes life much simpler.

I have a top of the line dell precision and its a great laptop, I would never recommend an alienware over it…however if you are going to be working in Blender and for the BGE… dont get either. There are better options out there. Better to save your money, get something like an asus notebook with the i5/i7 cpu and a 2gb gtx card (under $1000), then spend whatever extra money you have a wacom 13hd or something along those lines. Keep in mind, laptops dont last long… which is why its often better to go with a bit cheaper branding and just update physical machines more often, or go with a desktop rig.

For bge it does not matter. For cycles I do not know.

Finally it does not really matter. The differences are marginal and I’m sure there are more arguments becide than blender support.

Final note from me:
A good computer and good tools don’t make for a great game.

I would like to point out one thing, i seriously don’t like desktops and they are not portable in anyway possible as compared to the alienware even though it is heavier than a baby.
Now, since everyone is talking about the problems with alienware, i decided to check out the link that acedragon gave me and i found many groups of people; those who liked it, those who didn’t, those who didn’t like the customer support and those who talked about desktops which i don’t like.
But they all had one thing in common, 99.% were referring to discontinued versions of alienware so i decided to check specifically for alienware 18 problems and all i found was not enough reason to not buy it.
Now, i would ask one of you to buy it and test it but considering it can but a brand new honda motorcycle or 22 google nexus 7’s, i can’t.
Fact: Dell’s customer support sucks.:mad:
Fact:THey produce great computers.:yes:

Firstly, for PC vs portability, this:

And secondly, I would like to point out a contradictory fallacy you’ve brought up: You seem to think that the 2 laptops are competing; Alienware IS Dell. Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell; Dell bought Alienware in it’s entirety many many years ago. When you buy an Alienware system, you’re buying a Dell.

But they all had one thing in common, 99.% were referring to discontinued versions of alienware so i decided to check specifically for alienware 18 problems and all i found was not enough reason to not buy it.

Of course there will be a new model out every year that doesn’t have any content posted about it online yet. If you wait for a year there will be just like the older models. You want to be one of those people making the problem threads?

You are just searching for excuses.

Can you just be honest about if you are paying for it yourself or just have it bought to you by someone who doesn’t understand a thing about computers?

This is going off-topic now.

Nathan already did his choice. So I think there is nothing more to say to help him making this decision.
This will not be a playground for offenders.

[Closed]