Align two faces help

Hello,

tell me please how I can align perfecly two faces of two different objects (for example like in Dice Tutorial, align the upper part of sphere with the high part of dice).

Thanks very much,
Cristi

You could:

1. Select the half-sphere, click Tab to enter edit mode, select all the vertices on the upper edge, click Shift S cursor to selection. It would move the 3D cursor to the center of the selected vertices.
  2. Click Tab again to exit edit mode, F9 (editing), under the Mesh tab, click the “center cursor” button. It would reposition the object’s (sphere) center to the position of the cursor.
  3. Select the cube, Tab to enter edit mode, select all the vertices that defines the face you want to align the sphere to, click Shift S cursor to selection.
  4. Click Tab again to exit edit mode. Select the sphere again. Click Shift S selection to cursor. This should move the sphere to your face.
    Centering them is relatively easy. I wish someone would explain how to get things pointing to the same direction, if for example I have to objects that have been randomly rotated, a cube and a cone, for example, then I need to get one (the cone) aligned and rotated in the same direction as the second (one of the cube’s faces). I can put the base of the cone to the face of the cube, but getting it to point to the face’s normal can be hard.

Thank you very much, grafix! :slight_smile:
Cristi

Grafix,

Not so hard to do :smiley:

– Set up a scene

1. Go into some non-ortho view and add a cube.
  2. rotate the view a little and add another cube.

– what to do
3. Decide which faces of the cubes you wish to align
4. select the verts of one of the faces you picked eariler and press shift-v and select align view to top. Do a cursor to selection. Tab out of edit mode.
5. Do a center to cusrsor. Add an empty (the z of the empty will be perpendicular to the face chosen earlier)
6. parent cube to empty.
7. repeat 3-6 for other cube except rotate empty about its own x or y axis by 180 degrees (the z should point in the opposite direction) before parenting.
8. select the two empties and ctrl-c copy rotation. Clear parents and then delete empties if you wish.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is :smiley:

GreyBeard

Thanks, Graybeard. It is a very roundabout way, but it works. :smiley:
Wish they could automate these processes (aligning, centering, orienting…). Wings 3D has this “put on” command that does this with four mouseclicks.

if you have a selected mesh in object mode you can hit the n-key and adjust rotation, location and size of your object exactly…(transform properties)

f you have a selected mesh in object mode you can hit the n-key and adjust rotation, location and size of your object exactly…(transform properties)

Yes, the problem is that often the faces you wish to align are at some skew to the axis of the object so you don’t know the number to enter.

GreyBeard