alpha map problem

I’m trying to create the effect of script being written using an animated alpha map over an image file. However my map has dark edges. Anyone know why this might be happening?
see attached.

Thanks

http://www.intercityads.com/test/example3.jpg

hm unless it’s a blender bug i assume it’s a bad alpha map. while it might look ok in photoshop against a checker-bg, the alpha values might not be exactly 0%. check that again.

if you create the alpha with the eraser make sure it’s set to 100% opacity.

Hi Solmax,

I should clarify that the alpha-map is an avi (720 x 487 pixels) movie created in blender. Therefore the map has to use the ‘calc alpha’ setting in texture panel.
It’s made using a mesh emitter parented to a path. The mesh itself emits white dupliverted meshes against a black background. I originally had it emitting halos. I thought the halos were causing it and so switched to meshes - but no difference.

I’ve tried everything to clear this but am beginning to feel is just a by-product of the ‘calc alpha’ method.

If anyone can help it’ll prevent me from tearing out what precious hair I have left!

try rendering to an image sequence that truly supports alpha - such as PNG or better TGA. i never trust the calcalpha function :wink:

sounds promising. But how do you then import the sequence into the tetxure? as a movie? i didn’t think avi supported alpha channels.